none
Can C# offer suport for interMedia data types from ORACLE RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

I want to know if C# offers support for the next data types from ORACLE: ORDImage, ORDAudio and ORDVideo. I know that Java does this, does anybody of you worked with this multimedia data types from C#?

Thank you.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 9:57 AM

Answers

• It is not just what a provider supports because if what a provider support cannot be converted to what the RDBMS support you cannot use it. .NET System.Data.Common class members some cannot be passed to SQL Server because it is not defined in SQL Server. All the OP needs to do is explicit conversion from BLOB to Oracle intermedia types using memory stream.

Thursday, October 11, 2007 2:03 PM

All replies

• I do not think if it belongs to C#. I believe it belongs to Oracle provider. If provider supports these data types then you can work with them from C# or VB or any other .NET language. I believe you need to check with vendors who develop providers for Oracle to see if it is supported or will be supported.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 10:16 AM
  • ORACLE suports this data types, because I've seen PL/SQL procedure that are using this data types, but I've search the net for something in C# that can acces this types, or manipulate them and got nothing. This is why I've put this topic here. 

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 1:51 PM
  • Most Oracle data types does not exist in .NET including numeric data types because Oracle uses Number for all numeric data types including Double.  The data types you need are all under BLOB(binary large object).  Try the link below for how to use BLOB with Oracle and .NET oracle data types comparision.  Hope this helps.

http://www.oracle.com/technology/oramag/oracle/05-nov/o65odpnet.html

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.data.oracleclient.oracletype.aspx

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 2:26 PM
  • It is not if Oracle supports it or not. It is if database provider that communicates from .NET application with Oracle database supports it or not. You need to check OLEDB or .NET Managed providers for this capabilities, not C# or other .NET language

Thursday, October 11, 2007 2:05 AM
  • It is not just what a provider supports because if what a provider support cannot be converted to what the RDBMS support you cannot use it. .NET System.Data.Common class members some cannot be passed to SQL Server because it is not defined in SQL Server. All the OP needs to do is explicit conversion from BLOB to Oracle intermedia types using memory stream.

Thursday, October 11, 2007 2:03 PM
  • Thank you all for the answers, they were helpfull.

Thursday, October 11, 2007 2:22 PM