Pocket Access RRS feed

• Question

• Hello guys,

i need to create new Access tables on PPC2003SE then read from and write to them, of course programmaticaly. Does anyine has an idea on how this is possible??

thanks a lot in advance

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 3:29 PM

Answers

All replies

• To be more clear, i have an Access file on my desktop that contains tables that has the .mdb extension, when i transfer it to my PPC 2003 SE emulator with ActiveSync, it gets the .cdb extension. Once on my PPC 2003 SE i need to edit the tables, add data to the existing tables and fields, create new tables and fields if necessary, and read all the info from these tables.

Anone has any idea on how to make it?

any tip would be gr8 help !!

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 6:15 AM
  • There's 3rd party Pocket Access ADO.Net provider for NETCF:

http://www.devbuzz.com/content/zinc_dotnet_pocket_access_pg1.asp

However, it's a bad idea to use Pocket Access as no longer supported and won’t be available on future devices. WM 5.0 devices don't have it (can be installed), future devices won't have it all. Please consider using something else, e.g. SQL Mobile.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 4:33 PM
  • Hello Ilya,

thank you for answering my post, i have a question though.

When i use DataTable table = new DataTable(tableName); ADO. NET creates a new table but stores it where?? how can i specifie the access file i am using?

thank you for your help anyway

Friday, May 26, 2006 10:59 AM
  • DataTable is in memory data structure, it is not persisted anywhere (unless you do that). It is completely unaware you have some database, it is designed to be unaware of data source so it could operate without it.

You can fill DataTable with data from data base using respective DataAdapter (which is database specific and knows about storage location - that's how you specify database file you're using) and work with data cached in DataTable without accessing database. Should you modify data in DataTable, you’d need to save it back to the database using, again, DataAdapter.

Database is not required to use DataTable/DataSet. You can populate it programmatically or you can load/save data from/to XML file using ReadXml() and WriteXml() methods.

Friday, May 26, 2006 4:48 PM
  • so with ReadXml and WriteXml i can access my pocket access files???
    • Proposed as answer by x-chim Tuesday, April 14, 2009 8:27 AM
    Friday, May 26, 2006 8:02 PM
  • No, you can only access XML files which are created by serializing DataSet. DataSet and DataTable have nothing to do with Pocket Access even though they could be used together via Pocket Access DataAdapter (3rd party tool).

Friday, May 26, 2006 8:39 PM
  • well what i need for the moment, is to read from and write to an Access File.1st i have to create this file programatically, then create several tables and fill them with data, and i should be able to read saved data in the access file.

what i understood till now is that i should create a DataSet that will load the data from an Access DB File to a Data Table object (with the method Fill()) that will be stored in the memory then i do whatever i need to do with the DataTable and when i am done i have to update the data in the Access File using the Update() methode.

what i need to know is how to read the data from the DataTable once uploaded in the memory, and how to load the data from the Access File to the DataTable

thanks for your help

Friday, May 26, 2006 8:57 PM
  • First of all, you absolutely don't have to use DataSet/DataTable to talk to Pocket Access (aka ADO CE).

Perhaps using old good Recordset model would be easier. This article contains samples on how to do that:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnroad/html/road10222003.asp

You can also find details on Pocket Access data provider for NETCF here:

http://www.inthehand.com/ADOCE.aspx

If you'd like to use DataSet after all, this would be a good point to start:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpconoverviewofadonet.asp

Friday, May 26, 2006 10:05 PM
  • thanks a lot Ilya for your precious help,

i'll take a look at these links.

thanks a lot once more!

Friday, May 26, 2006 10:13 PM
  • HELLO ILYA! I just found this case in which yo mentioned that Pocket Access can be installed in WM 5.0... I need your help urgently... PLEASE!!! I need to know where can I get the Pocket Access for WM5.0 and how to install it???

Would you please help me... I'm in big trouble since in the corporation we use a Access Database in IPAQs.

My e-mail is mario.rodas@altamira.com.gt or mraltamira@yahoo.com

TKS a lot! looking forward for your answer.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 5:15 PM