none
Visual Studio 2015 getting error trying to add a reference

Answers

• Hi Gerry Cox,

Thanks for your helpful information for this issue.

Since this error occurs when you just click Add Reference, there should be some problem related to Visual Studio itself. Please try with following steps to troubleshoot this issue.

1. Run your Visual Studio as administrator to make sure it has enough permission to do any operations.
    2. Clear all Visual Studio temporary data under path "C:\Users\user name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0". Please delete this folder, it will generate when you open Visual Studio.
    3. Reset all settings for your Visual Studio through Tools -> Export and Import settings -> Reset all settings.
    4. Repair your Visual Studio.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Gerry Cox Tuesday, July 19, 2016 3:22 PM
    Tuesday, July 19, 2016 1:14 AM

All replies

• Hi Gerry Cox,

Could you please share the detailed error message when your add reference? And please tell us what's your project type and what reference that you want to add?

Please create a new project to check whether this problem occurs with one specific project or all projects in Visual Studio.

If just one specific project, the problem should be related to the project itself. Please check whether the reference that you added is compatible with your current project type first. And then please create a new project and move the project files to the new project and then add the reference again to check whether the problem can be fixed.

If all project have this issue, there may be some problem related to your Visual Studio. So we still need the detailed error message, which can help us find out what happened in your Visual Studio.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, July 15, 2016 4:58 AM
  • I did create a new project with nothing in it and I got the error.  The error message was supposed to be attached to the previous entry, but this is what I got:

The operation could not be completed.  No such interface supported

Friday, July 15, 2016 11:53 AM
  • Also, I just created a WinForms application - I did not add any code to it.  I just tried to add reference and got the error. 
    Friday, July 15, 2016 1:36 PM
  • Hi Gerry Cox,

Could you please tell me which reference do you added in your WinForms application?

I will try it in my side to confirm whether this issue related to Visual Studio itself or the added reference.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, July 18, 2016 6:45 AM
  • I don't get to that part.  I just click Add Reference and get the error.
    Monday, July 18, 2016 12:03 PM
  • Hi Gerry Cox,

Thanks for your helpful information for this issue.

Since this error occurs when you just click Add Reference, there should be some problem related to Visual Studio itself. Please try with following steps to troubleshoot this issue.

1. Run your Visual Studio as administrator to make sure it has enough permission to do any operations.
    2. Clear all Visual Studio temporary data under path "C:\Users\user name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0". Please delete this folder, it will generate when you open Visual Studio.
    3. Reset all settings for your Visual Studio through Tools -> Export and Import settings -> Reset all settings.
    4. Repair your Visual Studio.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

• Marked as answer by Gerry Cox Tuesday, July 19, 2016 3:22 PM
    Tuesday, July 19, 2016 1:14 AM
  • That worked - I had to repair it.
    Tuesday, July 19, 2016 3:23 PM