Not able to connect from SQL server local machine RRS feed

• Question

• Recently I have installed sql server 2012 in one of the server. Earlier there is SSAS in this server, I completely uninstall the existing one and reinstalled the SQL server. after that I am able to connect SSMS into that server, but I am unable to connect the SQL server out side of the server I am from my laptop. I am getting below error.

When I checked the SPN names in the server I got below error.

Duplicate SPN found, aborting operation!

I am trying to delete the duplicate SPN,but i am getting below error.

Failed to remove SPN on account 'CN=CNName SQL,OU=UserAccounts,DC=DCNAME,DC=corp,DC=DCNAME,DC=com', error 0x2098/8344 -> Insufficient access rights to perform the operation.

How can I resolve this issue? please help me on this.

Thanks,

Raj. K

• Edited by Raj. K Friday, October 16, 2015 8:29 PM
    Saturday, October 10, 2015 6:51 AM

Answers

All replies

• http://mrhodes.net/2010/08/05/avoiding-duplicate-service-principal-names-when-using-setspn-exe/

Please click "Mark As Answer" if my post helped.

Saturday, October 10, 2015 1:46 PM
  • Hi There,

you are able to connect to the sql server from SSMS. It means nothing wrong from the sql server.

you mentioned you did this installation on the server and trying to connect from the laptop.

THis server may be the virtual on your laptop or a physical server but you need to have on the same network.

Make sure remote log in is enabled.

disable the firewall. 

i hope this helps you.

thanks

kumar

Monday, October 12, 2015 12:10 AM
  • The duplicate SPN message suggest that the client is unable to determine where to try and make the connection to.

You first of all need to clean up the duplicate SPNs in Active Directory

Syntax for SetSPN.exe

The syntax for SetSPN.exe is:

setspn { -A SPN | -D SPN | -L } service_account

Arguments

-A Adds the specified SPN to the account.

-D Deletes the specified SPN to the account.

-L Lists all SPNs registered to the account.

Remove the SPN related to your SQL Server instance and then restart SQL Server to ensure it then re-registers its SPN.

Also check that the server names resolves correctly in DNS - use ping <IP Address> and ping <FQDN> and check that these correlate to each other.  Also use NSLOOKUP to confirm the name resolution in DNS

Martin Cairney SQL Server MVP

Monday, October 12, 2015 12:55 AM
  • Failed to remove SPN on account 'CN=CNName SQL,OU=UserAccounts,DC=DCNAME,DC=corp,DC=DCNAME,DC=com', error 0x2098/8344 -> Insufficient access rights to perform the operation.

How can I resolve this issue? please help me on this.

Thanks,

Raj. K

Hi Raj,

The error indicates that your account doesn’t have sufficient rights in Active Directory to be able to remove SPN. To solve this issue, delete SPN using domain admin account. Or grant your account proper permissions as described in the following articles, then delete duplicate SPN.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731241.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396#BKMK_Del
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/mdegre/archive/2009/11/20/the-sql-network-interface-library-was-unable-to-register-spn.aspx

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

Lydia Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, October 21, 2015 3:29 AM