Push Notifications not getting displayed if the message contains any non-English characters RRS feed

• Question

• When trying to send localized notifications to the users from server, if the notification content contains any non-English character then the notification is not getting displayed. 

WNS is responding with 200 OK i e The notification was accepted by WNS.

Do we need to set any preferences while sending the request, we've tried setting the lang attribute in Toast Xml's <Visual>, <Binding>, <Tile> 

Thursday, November 28, 2013 2:28 PM

Answers

• Hi Jamles Hez,

Here's the content of one our notification in 3 different languages

English:

user1name and 4 other people have commented on photos/videos 

German:

user1name und 4 andere Personen haben Fotos/Videos

French:

user1name et 4 autre(s) personne(s) ont commenté des photos/vidéos 

This notification is getting displayed when users locale is either English or German but not when its French because of é character. So, we tried removing é char and notification got displayed

Friday, November 29, 2013 6:38 AM
  • Hello,

This is a known issue that we are currently tracking. I can't give you an E.T.A on a workaround or fix but we are aware of it and actively working to find a resolution.

Thanks,

James

Windows SDK Technologies - Microsoft Developer Services - http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 12:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Pavan842,

What kind of non-English character included in your app, can you share some of them with me for a testing?

Take a look at the sample from MSDN code center, http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/toast-notifications-sample-52eeba29, I tried to set some non-English characters into the toast xml and all works fine.

I guess that there might be two reasons: 1, your WNS server cannot recognize non-English character. 2, the non-English character translated to a strange which make your toast XML looks strange therefore your client cannot resolve it.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Friday, November 29, 2013 6:20 AM
  • Hi Jamles Hez,

Here's the content of one our notification in 3 different languages

English:

user1name and 4 other people have commented on photos/videos 

German:

user1name und 4 andere Personen haben Fotos/Videos

French:

user1name et 4 autre(s) personne(s) ont commenté des photos/vidéos 

This notification is getting displayed when users locale is either English or German but not when its French because of é character. So, we tried removing é char and notification got displayed

Friday, November 29, 2013 6:38 AM
  • Hi Pavan842,

Well, to remove the é character seems to be a solution, at least it works.

Ok, this could be the system limitation.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Friday, November 29, 2013 7:21 AM
  • Hi Jamles Hez,

Is this a limitation at WNS if so, are there any plans for up-gradation?

I could n't find any official documentation as such, can you point me to it.

Friday, November 29, 2013 7:52 AM
  • Sorry I can't tell, I don't have a test environment off hand to reproduce your issue, but I will figure it out later and talk to some senior engineer to see if this is the limitation of WMS or the Operation system. And I will update you later.

Best Regards,

--James

Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Friday, November 29, 2013 8:07 AM
  • Thanks for you response, will be waiting for your update.
    Friday, November 29, 2013 8:10 AM
  • Hello,

This is a known issue that we are currently tracking. I can't give you an E.T.A on a workaround or fix but we are aware of it and actively working to find a resolution.

Thanks,

James

Windows SDK Technologies - Microsoft Developer Services - http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 12:13 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks,

James

Hi! Is the problem fixed as for now? Because I'm facing exactly the same: app gets push notifications in English without any problems, but push's in i.e. Ukrainian just aren't getting displayed.
    Wednesday, May 6, 2015 7:16 AM