Moniroting information and site information. RRS feed

• Question

• User-526849425 posted
    1) I want to populate a combo box with a list of the sites on my web servers (Including VD's) and retriedve the unique identifier that IIS assignes each site.  I also want to find out where the log files are located so I can access the log files.  Is there a way to do this in .Net 1.1?  Is there a way to do this in 2.0?

2) I want to write a site monitor for our internal sites and need to know how to retrieve the ping time, the response time, size of page retrieved, and any other data that would be helpful in a monitring site. Is there a way to do this in .Net 1.1?  Is there a way to do this in 2.0?

Any help will be appreciated.
    Saturday, October 15, 2005 1:11 AM

All replies

• User1117228605 posted
    how accessible is the server to you? access to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\Logfiles\W3SVC1"?

from the management console of iis, you may configure the raw log data to be written to any particular directory, such as your web app directory. ...OR..to a dsn (database)!
    Friday, November 4, 2005 5:49 AM
  • User-526849425 posted
    I know how to get to the logs and where they are stored.  What I need to know is if there is a way programically to retrieve a list of all the sites / VD on a IIS server with friendly name and cyprtic name (W3Svc1, etc) so that the insterface would allow the user to choose which logs they wanted to look at.
    Saturday, November 5, 2005 12:06 AM
  • User1117228605 posted
    Its all stored in the metabase, which is simply an xml file.

to get at it programatically, there are several ways. The best way, imho, is to use the DirectoryEntry in the System.DirectoryServices namespace: new DirectoryEntry("IIS://localhost/w3svc/1/root")

the other ways are to use adsi, wmi, or abo. You'll find code samples of these in the IIS sdk
    Saturday, November 5, 2005 1:16 AM
  • User-526849425 posted
    Thanks, that is what I was looking for.  I did not know there was an IIS SDK.
    Monday, November 7, 2005 1:41 AM