none
Problem with Server 2012 R2 , Update KB3081320 and signtool.exe

Question

• Hello,

We have a issue on out build server, which seems to be related to windows update KB3081320

When this attempts to sign a ClickOnce bootstap installer, we get the following error recorded in the event log:

Faulting application name: signtool.exe, version: 6.3.9600.17298, time stamp: 0x544aec65
    Faulting module name: ncryptprov.dll, version: 6.3.9600.17415, time stamp: 0x54503d86
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0000f915
    Faulting process id: 0x648
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d1261934c0ce0e
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\bin\x86\signtool.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\ncryptprov.dll
    Report Id: 72721e3f-920c-11e5-80d5-005056871eaa
    Faulting package full name: 
    Faulting package-relative application ID: 

If we run signtool.exe manually, we see that the  error details are:

The instruction at 0x71e5f915 referenced memory at 0x00000002. The memory cannot be read.

Is there any workaround, or hotfix for this, short of removing the update?

Thanks.

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 2:11 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Jeff Goddard,

>>We have a issue on out build server, which seems to be related to windows update KB3081320.

Do you mean that you install this security update for your windows server 2012 R2?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49595

In addition, you mean that everything works normally before you install this update, am I right?

Actually this forum is to discuss the VS IDE, but maybe I could provide a correct path for you.

For example, remove this KB, and then re-test it again. If it works well, we could make sure that it is related to this Windows Server KB, so we would discuss this issue with the windows experts.

You could also test it in other Environment has the same update, and check it again.

But if it doesn't work no matter whether we remove this kb, at least, we could make sure that it is not the kb's issue, we would think about the ClickOnce deployment.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, November 27, 2015 3:30 AM
  • Hi Jack,

Sorry I should have been more specific, but yes removing the update will fix the problem, and re-applying it re-introduces the problem.

I would welcome an idea of the best way to report this to MS if the MSDN forum isn't appropriate, I have never had to report a Windows bug before.

Friday, November 27, 2015 5:08 PM
  • Hi Jeff Goddard,

Since the signtool.exe would be the tool of the VS IDE, just to make this issue clearly, which VS version did you really use, VS2013 or VS2015 or others?

Since we could make sure that it is related to this KB now, two suggestions for this issue:

(1) Since the connect report team just supports the high VS versions now, if you use the high VS versions like the VS2013 or VS2015, you could submit a connect report here:

http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/CreateFeedback.aspx,Microsoft engineers will evaluate them seriously.

(2) You could discuss this issue with the Windows server 2012 members here, just let the Windows server members provide us a way which used to submit the feedback to the windows team, maybe it is also a better idea.

If there's any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, November 30, 2015 3:03 AM
  • Thanks jack, I have followed your link, and opened a bug in connect. It is the version of signtool from VS2013.

Thursday, December 03, 2015 11:49 AM
  • Hi Jeff,

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/Feedback/Details/2086872

Thanks for your response. As you already submit one feedback on the Microsoft Connect site, let's focus on the case on that channel, may the senior members can provide more professional support.

Have a nice day,

Jack

Friday, December 04, 2015 5:49 AM
  • Most likely this https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3144474 will help.

Daniel Sie

Thursday, May 05, 2016 10:47 PM