none
EF 6.x or EF Core RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 
    I am going to use Entity Framework in my next projects. I was doing a comparison between EF 6.x and EF core. As per information gathered from the internet, EF 6.x is stable and EF core is a fresh code. Is EF Core an upgrade over EF 6.x? I want to make sure I don't build a system with EF 6 if it is going to be made obsolete by EF Core.

My management has questions on kind of support you will provide on EF 6.x and EF Core. I would also like to know the timelines of support, how long will both be supported by Microsoft.

Thanks,
    Neelabh
    Thursday, October 27, 2016 4:22 PM

Answers

• Hi Neelabh27,

>>As per information gathered from the internet, EF 6.x is stable and EF core is a fresh code. Is EF Core an upgrade over EF 6.x?

EF6.x is a tried and tested data access technology with many years of features and stabilization. EF6.x continues to be a supported product, and will continue to see bug fixes and minor improvements for some time to come. Entity Framework Core (EF Core) is a lightweight, extensible, and cross-platform version of Entity Framework. Now, the latest version of Entity Framework Core 1.1 Preview is available. This includes fixing bugs and adding some of the critical features that are not yet implemented in EF Core. EF Core is not a completely upgrade over EF 6.x, we do want to acknowledge that EF Core still isn’t going to be the right choice for everyone.

• EF Core introduces many improvements and new features when compared with EF6.x.
    • EF Core keeps the developer experience from EF6.x, and most of the top-level APIs remain the same too, so EF Core will feel very familiar to folks who have used EF6.x.
    • EF Core is built over a completely new set of core components. This means EF Core doesn’t automatically inherit all the features from EF6.x. Some of these features will show up in future releases (such as lazy loading and connection resiliency), other less commonly used features will not be implemented in EF Core,(such as alternate keys and mixed client/database evaluation in LINQ queries).

For more detailed info of what is implemented, see our EF Core and EF6.x comparison and Feature Comparison.

Best Regards,

Cole Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Neelabh27 Thursday, November 3, 2016 2:26 PM
    Friday, October 28, 2016 7:41 AM

All replies

• Hi Neelabh27,

>>As per information gathered from the internet, EF 6.x is stable and EF core is a fresh code. Is EF Core an upgrade over EF 6.x?

EF6.x is a tried and tested data access technology with many years of features and stabilization. EF6.x continues to be a supported product, and will continue to see bug fixes and minor improvements for some time to come. Entity Framework Core (EF Core) is a lightweight, extensible, and cross-platform version of Entity Framework. Now, the latest version of Entity Framework Core 1.1 Preview is available. This includes fixing bugs and adding some of the critical features that are not yet implemented in EF Core. EF Core is not a completely upgrade over EF 6.x, we do want to acknowledge that EF Core still isn’t going to be the right choice for everyone.

• EF Core introduces many improvements and new features when compared with EF6.x.
    • EF Core keeps the developer experience from EF6.x, and most of the top-level APIs remain the same too, so EF Core will feel very familiar to folks who have used EF6.x.
    • EF Core is built over a completely new set of core components. This means EF Core doesn’t automatically inherit all the features from EF6.x. Some of these features will show up in future releases (such as lazy loading and connection resiliency), other less commonly used features will not be implemented in EF Core,(such as alternate keys and mixed client/database evaluation in LINQ queries).

For more detailed info of what is implemented, see our EF Core and EF6.x comparison and Feature Comparison.

Best Regards,

Cole Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Neelabh27 Thursday, November 3, 2016 2:26 PM
    Friday, October 28, 2016 7:41 AM
  • Thank you, Cole.

This clears my doubt on which EF to select to start my work. 

Regards,

Neelabh

Thursday, November 3, 2016 2:37 PM