When do you use a filter and a slicer together? RRS feed

• Question

• My question is when do you use a filter and a slicer together?

Thursday, October 26, 2017 1:10 AM

Answers

• when you want to see some measures based on the slicer level and at the same time you dont want to see all of the slicer values

For example , say you're analzing sales by country

you have countries like

India, US, UK, Australia, Germany, etc

When you add country as a slicer and use sales measures you get country level sales figures. This will include every country available in your system

However it may be that you are only concerned about South East Asia region (India, China, Taiwan, etc). Then you may add country again as a filter and multi select only the required country values from it in your report

So here country attribute would be used both as a slicer and also as a filter

Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue
    Please Vote This As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue
    Visakh
    ----------------------------
    My Wiki User Page
    My MSDN Page
    My Personal Blog
    My Facebook Page

Thursday, October 26, 2017 8:39 AM

All replies

• Hi Saly,

Thanks for your question.

>>>My question is when do you use a filter and a slicer together?
    For this question, you may need to dig into the differences between a filter and a slicer. For more information, please refer to below blog:
    http://www.sqlchick.com/entries/2011/11/27/comparing-slicers-in-excel-2010-to-standard-pivottable-filte.html

Best Regards
    Willson Yuan
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, October 26, 2017 8:27 AM
  • when you want to see some measures based on the slicer level and at the same time you dont want to see all of the slicer values

For example , say you're analzing sales by country

you have countries like

India, US, UK, Australia, Germany, etc

When you add country as a slicer and use sales measures you get country level sales figures. This will include every country available in your system

However it may be that you are only concerned about South East Asia region (India, China, Taiwan, etc). Then you may add country again as a filter and multi select only the required country values from it in your report

So here country attribute would be used both as a slicer and also as a filter

Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue
    Please Vote This As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue
    Visakh
    ----------------------------
    My Wiki User Page
    My MSDN Page
    My Personal Blog
    My Facebook Page

Thursday, October 26, 2017 8:39 AM