How to detect a list and/or view schema update? RRS feed

• Question

• I've searched through the Lists, Webs, SiteData, and Views web services, as well as inspecting the content database itself, and I don't see anything that corresponds to the date of a schema change. I'm probably overlooking it... There is a Modified date but that corresponds to the date of the last list item update, not a schema update.

When using Access 2010 with WSS 3, it is necessary to "refresh" the linked table definition if the structure of the associated list has been changed. Access will not automatically detect updates such as adding or removing fields. So, to create a function that automatically refreshes a linked table definition when this kind of update occurs, it will be necessary to code it from scratch (using an MD5 hashing algorithm or something along those lines) unless a convenient "schema updated date" attribute is hidden somewhere...

-Jay

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 1:28 AM

Answers

• Hey Jay Ward,

Unfortunately you have not missed it, there is no way to track this kind of information in Sharepoint. 

I hope that helps!

Tom

Tom Molskow - SharePoint Architect - Linked-In - SharePoint Gypsy
    • Marked as answer by Jay Ward Tuesday, December 14, 2010 6:33 PM
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 6:13 PM

All replies

• Hey Jay Ward,

Unfortunately you have not missed it, there is no way to track this kind of information in Sharepoint. 

I hope that helps!

Tom

Tom Molskow - SharePoint Architect - Linked-In - SharePoint Gypsy
    • Marked as answer by Jay Ward Tuesday, December 14, 2010 6:33 PM
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 6:13 PM
  • Thanks, that does help me to avoid unnecessary head banging!

I've settled on a solution that uses a custom web service. The web service returns a list containing the list title, view title, and an MD5 hash of the view's schema xml. The web service is called periodically from the Access application, allowing it to determine when a linked table needs to be refreshed.

Thanks,
    -Jay

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 6:33 PM