none
Unexpected error when upgrading to VS2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks,

I have developed a Excel addin in VS2010 and tried to upgrade to VS2013. VS2013 seemed to have a serious issue with the ribbon that I have developed and indeed I cannot even edit it. (see screenshot)

When I click on 'MSDN Help' I get the suggestion 'Move the class code so that it is the first class in the file, and then load the designer again.'

I don't really understand what this means and what I have to do so any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Bernie

Bernie

Thursday, November 28, 2013 2:59 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Bernie,

According to the screenshot you use VB.NET for developing an Office add-in. It looks like VS2013 has the Option Strict turned ON set by default.Option Strict Off

That is why you see these errors in the list. You need to turn the Option Strict Off in the Options dialog of Visual Studio 2013 as shown on the screenshot:

Option Strict Off

Thursday, November 28, 2013 7:33 AM
  • Thank you Eugene,

Option Strict is set to 'Off' in my solution (It looks like VS2013 correctly took this setting from the VS2010 version of the solution).

Just wondering if you or anyone else has another suggestion?

Thanks,

Bernie

Bernie

• Edited by Bernie Ok Thursday, November 28, 2013 10:18 PM
    Thursday, November 28, 2013 10:18 PM
  • Hello Bernie,

Please check out References of your add-in. It looks like some base classes can't be found. Or you just need to update some references (re-target them to the new version of VSTO). In that case you can create a new add-in in VS2013 and compare your existing add-in with a newly created one.

BTW Did you try to create an empty add-in project in VS2010 and then open it in VS2013? Do you get any errors?

Friday, November 29, 2013 8:02 AM
  • HI,
    As your screenshot, the error message "The designer could not be shown for this file because none of the classes within it can be designed.”
    You can refer to the link in MSDN:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/0t335zts(v=vs.110).aspx

I notice your error list "New" cannot be used on an interface, Could you show me or upload your project?
    In addition, the MSDN help "Move the class code so that it is the first class in the file, and then load the designer again." ,It means you need make sure your Form designer class is in the frist class .The following code will give some error message .

Public Class V
    End Class
    Public Class Ribbon1
        Private Sub Ribbon1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As RibbonUIEventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
        End Sub
    End Class

Reagrds,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, November 29, 2013 8:57 AM
  • Hi Marvin,

well a bit more investigation solved a lot of the problems. When upgrading from VS2010 to VS2013 it seems I was also upgrading from .net 3.5 to .net 4.5. This required some manual recoding of the ribbon designer. ( see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/ee712587.aspx)

Whilst all errors were removed, when I tried to build my solution I got the following error.

Just hoping that someone may be able to advice me on how to deal with this error.

Thanks,

Bernie

Bernie

• Edited by Bernie Ok Saturday, November 30, 2013 11:32 PM
    Saturday, November 30, 2013 11:27 PM
  • OK, I have resolved the above issue. For details see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee712617(v=vs.100).aspx

Bernie

Bernie

• Marked as answer by Bernie Ok Monday, December 2, 2013 3:34 AM
    Monday, December 2, 2013 3:33 AM