Search list RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello! I have a small problem that I do not know exactly how to solve. I have a macro that that searches a list in Excel for a certain date e.g. 2006-02-14. The date is stored in the array strSlutDatumArray(1). I look using rng(1).Offset(j, 0) (never mind that but it just loops down in a list). I apply this code on many lists. Almost all lists consist of dates based on a 5 day week. However some lists only contain one date per week.

Assume that I am searching for the date 2006-01-10. The lists contain only 1 date per week. I want to somehow check so that I choose the date closest to 2006-01-10 in the list. Assume that the list looks like:

2006-01-01

2006-01-08

2006-01-15

Then I want to stop my search at the date closest to 2006-01-10, i.e. 2006-01-08. Can anyone help me with how to do that? Any help is very much appreciated! Thanks a lot in advance!

The code I am using for searching the list is:

Do Until IsEmpty(rng(1).Offset(j, 0)) = True Or rng(1).Offset(j, 0).text = strSlutDatumArray(1) = True

j = j + 1

Loop

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 8:49 AM

Answers

• Hello again AndersBank,

I've done something similar but with time. The approach I took, as it would apply to dates, is to search for the date, if it's not found take a day away and try the search again, if it's not found then add a day and try the search again, you keep doing this until you find the closest date either before or after the date your searching for.

Here is the code I used, you'll be able to adapt it.

Set rngStartRangeProcess = Application.Selection.Find(CStr(DateTime), LookIn:=xlValues)

'if date time not found then
        If rngStartRangeProcess Is Nothing Then

Dim nRange As Integer
            For nRange = 1 To 15 'for a range of 15 seconds
                Dim newDateTime As Date
                newDateTime = DateAdd("s", nRange, DateTime) 'add seconds
                Set rngStartRangeProcess = Application.Selection.Find(CStr(newDateTime), LookIn:=xlValues) 'have another look

If rngStartRangeProcess Is Nothing Then 'if still not found
                    newDateTime = DateAdd("s", -nRange, DateTime) 'remove seconds
                    Set rngStartRangeProcess = Application.Selection.Find(CStr(newDateTime), LookIn:=xlValues) 'have another look
                    If Not rngStartRangeProcess Is Nothing Then  'if found then exit the for loop
                        Exit For
                    End If
                Else
                    Exit For 'if found then exit loop
                End If

Next
        End If

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 10:57 AM