Active Directory duplication of names causing issues RRS feed

• Question

• We use AD groups to do all our TFS security (2012). Our QA department is granted access through their company email group. Sometimes people leave. The user is removed from the group. No issues. Everything still works because of the way TFS caches the information.

But now, hire that person back. Add to that a policy that changes her underlying login name (domain\cccLAN1abc vs domain\myname) because of a switch between W2 and consulting status. She still has the same first name and last name. Put her back in the AD group which now only has the one new underlying login it should have.

Then have someone else update a test step she wrote when she worked here previously. Depending on where you are you will get a straight up crash, restart and scratch your head. Or, as I was eventually able to do, get a specific position real error. No one else has ever seen this in our building and as it is so rare I thought it best to document it here.

The fault text is: Application detected an unexpected fault. Multiple identities found matching 'user name". Use the unique name to specify one of the following identities: It then goes on to list the two choices of
    - username (unique name: old name)
    - username (unique name: new underlying name)

There is one button to close the dialogue. I have no idea what it expects me to do to fix this, having no control over the individual user information. Plus, if I try to type in the underlying name (domain\username) that it gives me as a choice it simply presents another dialogue saying that: This work item cannot be saved. The field 'Assigned To' contains the value 'what it typed in' that is not in the list of supported values.

Our workaround is to assign these items to another user.

And this is not actually a question - unless you have a fix. It is more about letting someone else find the answer instead of digging for a week or two trying to figure it out.

Tested in MTM 2012 and 2015 preview with the same results.

mike

MP

• Edited by MPrutz Thursday, January 15, 2015 1:22 AM typos
    Thursday, January 15, 2015 1:18 AM

Answers

• Hi MPrutz,

What’s the result after you change the display name in the database?

Regards

Starain

Modified ProviderDisplayName, DisplayName, AccountName, DistinguishedName, MailAddress to insure uniqueness. I didn’t have to do them all but wanted to set that new name (prefixed the old name with ~) consistent within the row. Our active directory does in fact have two of her, but one is marked as deleted. Perhaps that is an update column that should be sync’d by TFS.

MP

• Marked as answer by MPrutz Friday, January 16, 2015 2:43 AM
    Friday, January 16, 2015 2:42 AM

All replies

• I see that the offending duplication is in the configuration databases tbl_identity table. I may just change the display name there and see if that makes things useable again.

MP

Thursday, January 15, 2015 1:46 AM
  • Hi MPrutz,

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, January 16, 2015 2:30 AM
  • Hi MPrutz,

Regards

Starain

Modified ProviderDisplayName, DisplayName, AccountName, DistinguishedName, MailAddress to insure uniqueness. I didn’t have to do them all but wanted to set that new name (prefixed the old name with ~) consistent within the row. Our active directory does in fact have two of her, but one is marked as deleted. Perhaps that is an update column that should be sync’d by TFS.

MP

• Marked as answer by MPrutz Friday, January 16, 2015 2:43 AM
    Friday, January 16, 2015 2:42 AM