SSMS experts RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am working in client network where I have installed SQL server 2008. I am able to see other network servers through SSMS but not the one installed by my team member. (The server available by default during the machine build is available but any new installation is invisible).

Its vice versa in other machines, they can see other network server but not mine. :(

I have enabled TCP/IP, port number 1433,remote connections and also changed the firewall settings. Still no luck. kindyy help.

Regards,

K.G.Manivannan

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 11:28 AM

Answers

• But ideally when we browse for more servers we cant find each other.

On which server a SQL Server is running, is provide by SQL Server Browser via UDP broadcast; there are no special permissions required to get the informations.

But details about the installed SQL Server are queried via WMI and for this you need permissions on the maschine to get the informations; I guess you don't have the permissions. See WMI Troubleshooting => Access Denied.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Proposed as answer by Fanny Liu Wednesday, November 20, 2013 1:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by Fanny Liu Monday, December 9, 2013 1:09 PM
    Tuesday, November 12, 2013 12:10 PM

All replies

• Please check if the "SQL Server Browser" service is running; this service is reponsable to provide informations about installed SQL Server instance.

Beside "can't see", can you connect to entering the SQL Server instance name?

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 11:43 AM
  • Hi Olaf,

yeah. My services are up and running with ref path to C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlbrowser.exe

Besides "cant see" i am able to connect my SQL server instance in my machine SSMS. Similarly my team mate can do the same in her machine and SSMS.

But ideally when we browse for more servers we cant find each other.

Additional points, My user id has been registered in her Server and vice versa.

Regards,

K.G.Manivannan

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 11:53 AM
  • But ideally when we browse for more servers we cant find each other.

On which server a SQL Server is running, is provide by SQL Server Browser via UDP broadcast; there are no special permissions required to get the informations.

But details about the installed SQL Server are queried via WMI and for this you need permissions on the maschine to get the informations; I guess you don't have the permissions. See WMI Troubleshooting => Access Denied.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Proposed as answer by Fanny Liu Wednesday, November 20, 2013 1:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by Fanny Liu Monday, December 9, 2013 1:09 PM
    Tuesday, November 12, 2013 12:10 PM