Capture video from BlackMagic DeckLink and AJA Xena capture boards using Media Foundation RRS feed

• Question

• Hello
    Is this possible to capture video from BlackMagic DeckLink and AJA Xena capture boards?

In Media Foundation documentation I found this:
    "Topic Audio/Video Capture in Media Foundation ...In Windows 7, Microsoft Media Foundation now supports audio and video capture. Video capture devices are supported through the UVC class driver and must be compatible with UVC 1.1. Audio capture devices are supported through Windows Audio Session API (WASAPI)."

I'm afraid that these devices (AJA Xena particulary) are not compatible with UVC 1.1 (They are not USB at all, they plug in PCIe slot)
    Does that mean that is impossible to capture video from this sort of capture devices?

As in DirectShow I created video capture source filters based on SDK provided by board vendors.
    Could I do something like this in Media Foundation and create Media Source for this devices?
    Monday, July 13, 2009 8:28 AM

Answers

• First, this statement:

must be compatible with UVC 1.1

is actually too restrictive. Any capture device that uses AVStream should work in Media Foundation. 

Second, you can certainly write a custom media source for Media Foundation, so it should be possible to do what you describe; same as for DirectShow.

- Mike

Mike Wasson (SDK Documentation)
    • Marked as answer by Evgeny Vinnik Thursday, July 16, 2009 6:50 PM
    Monday, July 13, 2009 3:04 PM

All replies

• First, this statement:

must be compatible with UVC 1.1

is actually too restrictive. Any capture device that uses AVStream should work in Media Foundation. 

Second, you can certainly write a custom media source for Media Foundation, so it should be possible to do what you describe; same as for DirectShow.

- Mike

Mike Wasson (SDK Documentation)
    • Marked as answer by Evgeny Vinnik Thursday, July 16, 2009 6:50 PM
    Monday, July 13, 2009 3:04 PM
  • I'm also trying to setup BlackMagic DeckLink studio PCI cards for Video Capture.
    The Blackmagic SDK is provided with COM interface.

When running the simple capture sample, the videocard is not listed. I'm not sure if the device is compatible with AVStream (How can I know ?).
    I'm now planning to write a custom source.
    If I want to output stream on DeckLink cards I assume I will also need to build a custom media sink.

I intend to start from the MPEG1 custom sample and Wave sample for the media sink.
    Is that the right way to go ?
    Does anybody already have a working implementation of custom media source and custom media sink with the Decklink SDK ?

Thanks,

Friday, December 11, 2009 10:06 AM
  • Iozo, did you find out whether Decklink is compatible with AVStream? If not, are they planning to change that?

Thanks,

Ryan.
    • Edited by Ryan_Spitz Wednesday, May 26, 2010 6:24 PM correction
    Friday, February 5, 2010 4:10 PM
  • Iozo, did you find out whether Decklink is compatible with AVStream? If not, are they planning to change that?

Thanks,

Ryan.

would be interested in the answer

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 1:46 PM
  • would be interested in the answer too
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 6:58 PM