none
OpenXML .docx password protection on Word2003 doesn't work! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi There,

We have converted a bunch of Word2003 documents to Word2007 (.docx) which worked great... however, users with Word2003 (400+ users, with compatibility pack installed) are able to Unprotect documents without needing to provide a password!

Even when we reapply document protection with passwords in Word2003, reopening the .docx file still allows users to Unprotect documents.

We have been trying to apply document protection programmatically using C#, but even doing this manually in Word2003 doesn't work!

Is this a bug?  and is there a workaround?
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 10:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    You mean you want to protect the documents when opening, instead of editing? If so, I don't think you can add a password to the package through SDK. My speculation is that Office app should keep the passwords as it's already with the .doc documents, but I'm afraid that this issue is not within the scope of Open XML SDK, maybe Word team could help on that, sorry...

Monday, June 29, 2009 2:21 AM
  • Thats alright.  Just found out that its by design! 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827397#appliesto

Monday, June 29, 2009 2:32 AM
  • Hi i have simliar kind of issuse, i just wanted to know Open xml support Word 2003 or not for me it s not working getting message file corrupted, but if i use doczx working< is it existing bug?

DocumentFormat.OpenXml.Packaging.

WordprocessingDocument doc = DocumentFormat.OpenXml.Packaging.WordprocessingDocument.Open("C\\test.doc", true);

doc.ExtendedFilePropertiesPart.Properties.DocumentSecurity =

new DocumentFormat.OpenXml.ExtendedProperties.DocumentSecurity(isLock ? "8" : "0");

doc.ExtendedFilePropertiesPart.Properties.Save();

Monday, December 28, 2009 6:41 PM
  • Open XML SDK does NOT support word 2003 files as it's only from Word 2007 that Open XML become standard file format. Open XML SDK is deisgned to handle fiels in Open XML file formats only.
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 9:58 AM