none
SkipMembership and IgnoreSecurity not working! RRS feed

• Question

• When trying to synchronize cube from one server to another, the options available are IgnoreSecurity, CopyAll, and SkipMembership.

However, these (IgnoreSecurity or SkipMembership) dont work as they should sometimes, whether i am manually doing this or executing the XMLA file.

Today for example i just tried synchronizing with SkipMembership. the xmla file (see below) clearly contains the security option yet the members were never skipped from the source server!

I found an article about a similar problem that had a CU, however it applies for 2008 server. 

CU 2008

here is breakdown info of our SSAS environment:

SQL Server 2017

SSAS version: 14.0.230.1

<Synchronize xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/analysisservices/2003/engine">
      <Source>
        <ConnectionString>Provider=MSOLAP.8;Data Source=server1.domain.com;Integrated Security=SSPI;Initial Catalog=CUBE1</ConnectionString>
        <Object>
          <DatabaseID>CUBE1</DatabaseID>
        </Object>
      </Source>
      <SynchronizeSecurity>SkipMembership</SynchronizeSecurity>
      <ApplyCompression>true</ApplyCompression>
    </Synchronize>

• Edited by cataster Monday, May 20, 2019 11:39 PM
    Monday, May 20, 2019 11:33 PM

All replies

• Hi cataster,

Synchronize Database Wizard also doesn't work for you, does it? 

If yes, please execute the following command to type out the detailed version of SQL Server 2017.

SELECT @@VERSION

Check if it is the latest version according to this article. If not, please upgrade your server to latest version and see if it overcomes that issue.

SQL Server 2017 build versions

Best Regards,

Will

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 2:47 AM
  • Hi cataster,

Synchronize Database Wizard also doesn't work for you, does it? 

If yes, please execute the following command to type out the detailed version of SQL Server 2017.

SELECT @@VERSION

Check if it is the latest version according to this article. If not, please upgrade your server to latest version and see if it overcomes that issue.

SQL Server 2017 build versions

Best Regards,

Will

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

the sql server version:

Microsoft SQL Server 2016 (SP2-CU2-GDR) (KB4458621) - 13.0.5201.2 (X64)   Aug 18 2018 07:38:15   Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation  Enterprise Edition: Core-based Licensing (64-bit) on Windows Server 2016 Datacenter 10.0 <X64> (Build 14393: ) (Hypervisor) 

This is the SSAS servers version:

i went ahead and installed the latest KB

KB4484710

yet the SkipMembership or IgnoreSecurity dont work. i still see roles/members being copied even though iv clearly deleted the cube on the destination server being synced to. 

i tried this both manually and through XMLA file, same result. 

this is the current version of the SSAS servers after the KB update:

• Edited by cataster Tuesday, May 21, 2019 9:38 PM
    Tuesday, May 21, 2019 9:38 PM
  • This is the SSAS servers version:

i went ahead and installed the latest KB

KB4484710

yet the SkipMembership or IgnoreSecurity dont work. i still see roles/members being copied even though iv clearly deleted the cube on the destination server being synced to. 

i tried this both manually and through XMLA file, same result. 

this is the current version of the SSAS servers after the KB update:

Since new version of SSAS hasn't solved such issue, you may report this issue via https://feedback.azure.com/forums/908035-sql-server,  Microsoft would notice it and reply to it about how the issue goes on.

Thanks for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,

Will

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 9:50 AM