none
Failure to import a form from another database RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

All of a sudden I get this message when I try to import a form from another database:

It is not application specific, because it occurs in all applications on the same computer (A2003 on WIndows10).

This has worked ok until today. It is computer dependant, because when I transfer all applications to a different computer, import works as expected.

Something must have been changed on this computer, but I do not know what.

Thanks, Imb.

Friday, December 11, 2015 9:01 PM

Answers

• Well, there is nothing wrong with the forms. All forms are correct without corruption. I can run all applications on another computer without any problem.

The "only" thing that does not work is the pasting of a form. Tables behave normal. It must be somewhere a conflict between the OS and Access, and it looks it is deep in the computer internals. I have de-installed Office, and re-installed again, but the problem remained.

I even made a new User on the computer, but that did not make any difference either.

Hi,

I finally got rid of the problem by starting from zero:

going back to Factory installation, and a new installation of Office2003.

But it least, all my applications are up and running again.

Imb.

• Marked as answer by Imb-hb Wednesday, December 16, 2015 6:30 PM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 6:30 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The same error I get just by copying a form within an application using CtrlC aznd CtrlV.

Imb

Saturday, December 12, 2015 10:14 AM
  • According to your description, I suggest that you could use SaveAsText/LoadFromText, this is an undocumented technique that may rescue a bad form or report by exporting it to a text file, and instructing Access to recreate it from the text file.

1.Make a backup of your database.
    2.Open the code window (Ctrl+G) and look through the modules (Windows menu.)
     If you can see a module for this form/report, copy the text out to Notepad, and save it.
    3.Open the Immediate Window (Ctrl+G), and export the form/report as a text file. Enter something like this:
        SaveAsText acForm, "Form1", "C:\MyFolder\Form1.txt"
    substituting your form name for Form1 and your directory for MyFolder.  Use acReport if the problem object is a report.
    4.Verify that the text file was created in the folder you specified.
    5.Delete the form from the database.
     Select it in the Navigation Pane (Access 2007 or later) or Database Window (previous versions), and press Del.
    6.Compact the database: ◦In Access 2010, Compact and Repair Database on the Database Tools ribbon.
    ◦In Access 2007, click Office Button (top left) | Manage | Compact.
    ◦In Access 95 - 2003, Tools | Database Utilities | Compact.

7.Open the Immediate Window (Ctrl+G). Enter something like this:
        LoadFromText acForm, "Form1", "C:\MyFolder\Form1.txt"
    substituting the same things you did at Step 3 above.

You will receive an error message at Step 3 if Access cannot make sense of the form to export it. You will have to delete the form and re-create it, but if you saved the code at Step 2 you can at least paste that back into the new form's module after you create it.

If Step 3 works without error, there is a good chance the rest of the steps will succeed too.

Monday, December 14, 2015 6:15 AM
  • According to your description, I suggest that you could use SaveAsText/LoadFromText, this is an undocumented technique that may rescue a bad form or report by exporting it to a text file, and instructing Access to recreate it from the text file.

Hi David,

Thank you for your respons.

Well, there is nothing wrong with the forms. All forms are correct without corruption. I can run all applications on another computer without any problem.

The "only" thing that does not work is the pasting of a form. Tables behave normal. It must be somewhere a conflict between the OS and Access, and it looks it is deep in the computer internals. I have de-installed Office, and re-installed again, but the problem remained.

I even made a new User on the computer, but that did not make any difference either.

Because I lost quite some time on this problem, I have first to fulfill some other obligations. After that I could try SaveAsText/LoadFromText, if this is available in A2003.

Imb.

• Edited by Imb-hb Monday, December 14, 2015 1:54 PM typo
    Monday, December 14, 2015 1:53 PM
  • Well, there is nothing wrong with the forms. All forms are correct without corruption. I can run all applications on another computer without any problem.

Hi,

I finally got rid of the problem by starting from zero:

going back to Factory installation, and a new installation of Office2003.

But it least, all my applications are up and running again.

Imb.

• Marked as answer by Imb-hb Wednesday, December 16, 2015 6:30 PM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 6:30 PM