none
Scheduling a Task NOT to end on a Particular Day RRS feed

• Question

• Good Afternoon,

I'm hoping that someone may know the solution to this one because I'm sure it must be possible.

I want to be able to set up tasks to automatically schedule themselves in calendar days (including weekends) but add in a 'constraint' to prevent tasks from ending on a weekend or a Monday (and if necessary extend the task duration to accommodate this).

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks very much

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 2:23 PM

All replies

• . . . . . . . . . . . . .

You can't force a task to not end . . . . . . . . . .

Really depends on what you are trying to do . . . . . . . . .

Script ? . . . . . . . .

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 2:40 PM
  • Suzanne,

First, there is no feature in Project that will allow tasks to "automatically schedule themselves". The application just isn't that sophisticated and I'm not sure it ever will be.

Second, what you want to do is very similar to a question that has been asked previously on multiple occasions and that is, how to insure a task always starts at the beginning of a work day, regardless of when the predecessor task finished. See the following post:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-project/how-can-i-always-have-a-task-start-on-a-monday/182cafee-ad79-45ef-9f33-caf865bbc24b

It that doesn't help get you there or you need more assistance, post back and we'll help you out.

But I'm really curious to know the reason why a task cannot finish on a weekend or Monday, especially if you are using a 7 day calendar. It's no stretch to understand that some tasks must start at the beginning of a workday, but constraining the finish is a new one.

John

• Edited by John - Project Thursday, February 18, 2016 2:04 AM curious
    Wednesday, February 17, 2016 4:07 PM
  • You could tie two tasks together, the first on the regular calendar, connected FS0 to a one day task that allows work on all days except weekends and Mondays. The combination of the two tasks will give you what you want. No matter what day the predecessor ends, the successor will only be Tuesday-Friday. Those could be tied to a summary or hammock task if you want to see it as a single task.
    Thursday, February 18, 2016 2:14 PM
  • Hi Suzam,

From your description I understand that you have your Sundays and Mondays as non working, do let me know if I understood it correct.

You would have to define the working hours for your instance to be 40 and mark the start of the week to be Tuesday. System will move the task during scheduling with the notification to either a day ahead or a day before the weekend if task comes on an off day.

Regards, Syed Faizan ur Rehman, CBPM®,PRINCE2®, MCTS

Sunday, February 28, 2016 7:07 AM