none
How to clean up a test computer from previous WDK 8 provision so it can be reprovisioned again. RRS feed

• Question

• Several machines have been ruined after failed provisioning among two developers. Those are real metal not VMs. VM's didn't work as target test PCs. The cost of re-installing the dev environment is high since they target=host=devbox. Can anybody come up with a list of steps to clean up those machines. 

Removing provisioning from the target computer

Once you have provisioned a target computer, you cannot completely remove the provisioning. However, you can remove most of the provisioning from the target computer by using Visual Studio on the host computer. Here are the steps.

1. On the host computer, in Visual Studio, on the Driver menu, choose Test > Configure Computers.
    2. Select the name of the target computer, and click Delete computer.
    3. Select Remove provisioning and delete computer. Click Next.
    4. When the removal process is complete, click Finish.

What happens when you provision a computer?

Provisioning a computer performs the following tasks:

• Copies installation files to %SystemDrive%\DriverTest
    • Creates a user named WDKRemoteUser and switches to that user
    • Installs .NET 4.0 if it is not already installed
    • Installs Test Authoring and Execution Framework (TAEF) (WDK Client)
    • Installs debuggers
    • Installs Windows Device Testing Framework (WDTF)
    • Turns off AutoReboot
    • Enables kernel memory crash dumps
    • Disables Screen Saver
    • Disables workstation lock policy
    • Disables ForceGuest
    • Sets the power policy to a high power configuration, which prevents the system from entering Standby or Hibernate Mode when idle
    • Enables the RTC Wake timer
    • Enables and configures kernel debugging
    • Enables test signing of drivers
    • Reboots the target computer if necessary
    • Creates a system restore point

What happens when you remove provisioning?

When you remove provisioning from the target computer, these items are removed:

• Test Automation Framework
    • Debuggers
    • Windows Driver Testing Framework
    • %SystemDrive%\DriverTest folder and contents
    • WDKRemoteUser account

Removing provisioning does not change these items:

• AutoReboot setting
    • Kernel memory crash dump setting
    • Screen saver setting
    • Workstation lock policy
    • ForceGuest setting
    • Power policy
    • RTC Wake timer setting
    • Kernel debugging settings
    • Test signing setting
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 12:51 AM

All replies

• a system restore point should have been created the first time you provisioned. and this is exactly why we don't recommend using your dev machine as the test machine, it can easily screw up your dev environment and be very expensive.

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, January 10, 2013 3:20 AM
  • This doesn't answer my question; it only critiques my actions.

Restoring pre-provisioning with System Restore didn't render the machine re-provisionable.

I am using MS code, with MS tools and MS RTM OS. I have been developing for Windows since 3.0. I have 2 devboxes (Win7) and 1 VM (Win8) and the BUILD tablet (Win8). The sample code only worked on real hardware otherwise I would had stayed in VM like always. A lot of people are having issues with VMs. I was pushed into driver development again by MS because Metro is sand-boxed to the point that "my" device is not accessible over USB. 

The tabled was used to develop Metro Apps and as a roaming office PC (I Velcro it in my lap LOL). 

I will contact my PSS and escalate. Maybe the next Windows version won't have such issue. 

Xavier

• Edited by X-MAN Thursday, January 10, 2013 5:23 PM
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 5:23 PM
  • the restore point is the supported way to revert provisioning.  developing on your dev self host machine is not a supported scenario and is use at your own risk.

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, January 10, 2013 10:14 PM