none
HP proliant smart arry controler impact peformance RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have notice that once I installed the HP driver (smart array sas/sata) controler driver on Windows Hyper-v R2 or W2008 (Ent/Std) R2 core it is losing around 40% of performace. Before the installation of the driver the backup on the guest take 22 min.  After the installation it take 29 min. Like i said just after installing the driver for the HP Smart Arry E200i.

HP ML350 G5

I already ask HP but the told me it is a problem with Microsoft.

PS: This problem does not happen on W2008 core. I want to move to R2.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 12:20 AM

All replies

• Hi Ric,

I use two ML330 and one ML370 and I notice a simular issue. Not sure but I think so.
    I need to update the firmeware from BIOS and the internal device controller. Only after this I was happy with the performance with specially the ML370.

I use 2008 datacenter edition.

At the ML330 I use 2008 datacenter and at the ML370 the 200 datacenter R2 (wich has 64Bit required).

My initial issue was that I see some delayed copy task (read, write...). And I use the WPT tool ans check with "xbootmgr -trace boot -traceflags base+cswitch+registry+profile+disk_io_init+disk_io+file_io+file_io_init".
    After spending a lot's of time for troubleshoot / check / compare and internet search I realize that the whole firmeware wasn't up to date.

I hope this help

Besr regards

Rainer 

RPA
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 7:12 PM
  • Hello Rainer,

All my firmware are up to date,  Bios and HP Smart Arry E200i. I ran the HP DVD firmware 9.30.

Thanks and have a good day.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 12:00 AM
  • Hi Ric,

if you compare WPT trace from "before" and "after" (22min to 29min) --> did you see what is the key performance index which is "wrong" ?

e.g. lower disk io, more cpu usage, etc.

Best regards
    Rainer

RPA
    Friday, December 9, 2011 11:11 AM
  • Hello Rainer,

i never use this tool i will do some reading and try it.

Thanks.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 4:51 AM
  • Hi Ric,

I doesn't expect your answer because this forum is for the WPT made :).
    I hope the result from the *.etl trace should help you to find what's go on.

Best regards

Rainer

RPA
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 8:42 AM