none
Unique ID Task RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I have two questions for you :

- How can I check that "ID Task" column contains only unique number ?

- I want every number in "ID Task" column unique. I would like to check if the number I put in this column is unique. I want an error message if the number already exists and if not, I can enter it without problem.

Thank you very much !

Monday, January 23, 2012 2:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If you are talking about the builtin ID field, be sure that it IS unique for one project. Absolutely.

But I'm afraid you are talking about an ID field I do not know since you can NOT enter data in the iD field.

So can you clarify? Which view are we talking of? What is the exact denomination of the field (is it a custom field)?

Greetings,

Monday, January 23, 2012 3:33 PM
  • I'am talking about a custom field named "ID Taks" but in this case, I can enter the number I want. And I don't know how to defined an automatic UNIQUE number for this field... Do you have an idea ?
    Monday, January 23, 2012 3:44 PM
  • Hi,

Some options

1. give the custom field the formula [ID]

2 give the custom field the formule [Unique ID]

But none of these solves your question to recognize a double on data entry. Indeed, this cannot be achieved through a formula; what you need is an event-driven VBA routine that reacts on a task change. That however is not trivial at all. I can refer you to the module "Using Events" of Rod Gill's book on VBA Programming for Microsoft Office Project, which explains the necessary steps. It also contains how to create the form that will have the error message.

Hope this helps,

Monday, January 23, 2012 8:53 PM
  • Why would you want an additional custom field with a ID? And are you working with PWA, Project Professional or both?
    Jan Cirpka
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 6:57 AM
  • I'm working with both PWA and Project Pro but what I want is in Project Pro. As you can see, I have an ID task column wich is custom and I want the number unique. I searched on all properties but I didn't find anything ...

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 8:59 AM