none
Missing Request Review feature

Question

• One of the teams I work with is using Visual Studio 2013 Data Tools  as development environment. They are connected to TFS 2015 but they don't have the option to Request Review (code reviews) for their changes.

How can we enable this feature for them?

Thank you

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 6:45 PM

Answers

• Hi SimonaM

According to your screenshot, I think VS2013 shell does not support the feature of code review, so I suggest you to install a more advance version that could use this feature.

In addition, one of my colleague once used code review plugin in Visual Studio. In your Visual Studio you could operate by following steps:

Click your menu TOOLS->Extension and Updates-> Online->type ‘code review’ in search bar->download the code review tools, the procedure as shown below.

However in order to get a more comprehensive experience, I suggest update your version of VS. I hope this will be helpful for you.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by SimonaM Friday, July 15, 2016 3:28 PM
    Friday, July 15, 2016 3:21 AM

All replies

• Hi SimonaM,

According to your description, in my Visual Studio Ultimate 2013, when I connected to TFS 2015  I could do Request Code Review through  My Work in Team Explorer.

>>  I work with is using Visual Studio 2013 Data Tools  as development environment.

The Visual Studio 2013 Data Tools you used is Visual Studio 2013 or not? According to MSND document (part of Code Review Tip), we could get that Code Review is available for Visual Studio Premium or a more powerful edition:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/docs/tfvc/suspend-your-work-manage-your-shelvesets

Please ensure your version of VS you have used, and feel free to let me know your result.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 11:46 AM
  • Weiwei,

The team does not use the premium edition of Visual Studio 2013, they use what used to be named Visual Studio BIDS. It only has Business Intelligence related templates.

If I'm understanding correctly from your reply, this version does not support the code review feature. Is my understanding right?

Thank you for your reply

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 10:55 PM
  • Hi SimonaM

According to my reply above, the function code reviews is available for Visual Studio Premium or a more powerful edition.

In my Visual Studio Ultimate 2013 update5, I have created a Integration Services Project which connected to TFS2015. And I could use feature  of request code review.

As far as I know, Visual Studio BIDS your team used should be SQL Server Data Tools(SSDT) for developing SSIS, SSRS and SSAS stuff in Visual Studio 2013.

Please attach a screenshot about your version through Help->About Microsoft Visual Studio, where will show your Visual Studio version that you are using.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Thursday, July 14, 2016 6:14 AM

• Simona

Thursday, July 14, 2016 4:39 PM
  • Hi SimonaM

According to your screenshot, I think VS2013 shell does not support the feature of code review, so I suggest you to install a more advance version that could use this feature.

In addition, one of my colleague once used code review plugin in Visual Studio. In your Visual Studio you could operate by following steps:

Click your menu TOOLS->Extension and Updates-> Online->type ‘code review’ in search bar->download the code review tools, the procedure as shown below.

However in order to get a more comprehensive experience, I suggest update your version of VS. I hope this will be helpful for you.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

• Marked as answer by SimonaM Friday, July 15, 2016 3:28 PM
    Friday, July 15, 2016 3:21 AM
  • Thank you Weiwei for the information. I could not find definitive answers before on what version of VS the Code Review was supported, but you confirmed my suspicions. Will give the extension a try, but from what I saw before this VS version doesn't support a lot of extensions either.

Simona

Friday, July 15, 2016 3:28 PM