Add article for Merge Replication RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, recently I got a database(publisher) with 1-2 TB size and running in merge replication with only 1 subscriber, i got some changes on the Database schema that I need to create a couple of tables and create those as a new articles, as far as i know, i need to re-create the snapshot on the publisher after new articles have been added to the publisher, and replication won't work until the snapshot is completed. it takes a very long time for the database to do a new snapshot for huge database which mean there will be a long down time for the system., any way to reduce the down time?

It seems snapshot/transactional replication provides  immediate_sync properties in order to not make a full snapshot of the publisher...does merge replication have such property?

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 5:32 AM

Answers

• Unfortunately no, Merge does not have this option.

A new snapshot will need to be generated but only the schema and data for the newly added articles will be copied to subscribers.

There should be no downtime as inserts/updates/deletes can still be performed on publisher and subscribers during the snapshot generation process.

Another option would be to create a separate publication with your new articles.

Hope this helps.
    www.sqlrepl.com

• Proposed as answer by Peja Tao Wednesday, November 30, 2011 5:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Peja Tao Monday, December 5, 2011 3:18 AM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 6:30 AM

All replies

• Unfortunately no, Merge does not have this option.

A new snapshot will need to be generated but only the schema and data for the newly added articles will be copied to subscribers.

There should be no downtime as inserts/updates/deletes can still be performed on publisher and subscribers during the snapshot generation process.

Another option would be to create a separate publication with your new articles.

Hope this helps.
    www.sqlrepl.com

• Proposed as answer by Peja Tao Wednesday, November 30, 2011 5:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Peja Tao Monday, December 5, 2011 3:18 AM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 6:30 AM
  • Thanks for your reply. yes, users can still perform insert/update/delete, but the databases are not synchronized during that time, users may get some outdated information. 
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:37 AM