C++ backend C# frontend or all in C# RRS feed

• Question

• hey guys, :)

I've  got to build a web browser as my final project for my B.s.  in Software Engineering, and i have to develop a HTML|CSS|JavaScript interpreter , so i was thinking of a C++ back-end Engine 'n a C#(WPF) front-end powerful UI, after couple of hours reading i found out that making calls between unmanaged code and managed is realy expensive and the other way is to make unsafe code and memory Pointers witch is not likely,

So now i need to know is it steel a good choice too develop the engine in C++, or it's better to do it all in c#

Please help, i need to know this in order make other decisions :)

Saturday, October 29, 2011 6:58 AM

Answers

• Better performance: This is again debatable.In my opnion C# and C++ are both just high-level programming languages. Performance is dependant on how the compilers interpret andr translate your code.

C++ is for those that have a strong computer science background matched with years of experiance using the language. It is just a tool that gives a lot of power to the programmer and thus how dependable and usable it is depends mostly on the ability of the programmer.C# give less power to the programmer. Period. However for a beginer or intermediate level programmer, the baby sitting features of these languages hold serious value. This is more secure, less buggy, and easier to maintain.

I think it comes down to your background and the time you are wiling to invest.

Lingaraj Mishra
    Sunday, October 30, 2011 8:21 AM
  • Hi,

I would propose that you use only C# in your project due to your personal experience. I consider your task not as any easy one and it will be quite hard to implement the requested functionality in the given time depending on the conformance level for HTML, CSS and JavaScript you have to achieve.

My guess for the case that you use C++ is that you would spend much of your time in finding and fixing memory leaks since you have not too much experience with C++. Additionally writing secure code is easier in C# than in C++ which might be an important aspect for your project. And programs do not have to be slow just because they had been written in C#

Hope that helps to make up your mind

Stefan

Sunday, October 30, 2011 10:37 PM

All replies

• I would recomend to go with C# beacuse its faster to develop ( and hence more time to tune ) and more bug free due to memory and type safety and lot more advantage.

You can look in to some open source browser writen in .net like Matrix/Fusion Browser before taking a technology decession.

http://matrixbrowser.codeplex.com/releases/view/74723

http://fusionbrowser.codeplex.com/SourceControl/list/changesets

Lingaraj Mishra
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 6:27 PM
  • tax I'll be glad to check the links

but the main issue is the performance not being easy to develop, main reason too choose c++ is the speed.

Saturday, October 29, 2011 7:41 PM
  • Better performance: This is again debatable.In my opnion C# and C++ are both just high-level programming languages. Performance is dependant on how the compilers interpret andr translate your code.

C++ is for those that have a strong computer science background matched with years of experiance using the language. It is just a tool that gives a lot of power to the programmer and thus how dependable and usable it is depends mostly on the ability of the programmer.C# give less power to the programmer. Period. However for a beginer or intermediate level programmer, the baby sitting features of these languages hold serious value. This is more secure, less buggy, and easier to maintain.

I think it comes down to your background and the time you are wiling to invest.

Lingaraj Mishra
    Sunday, October 30, 2011 8:21 AM
  • tnx for the answer

i got something about a year or 11 months from now to do the job

I've got a good background in C#, not much in C++, from what I've heard C++ gives you more optimized code thus faster performance,

and if thing go well, i might be eager to put some effort in code optimization in JavaScript Interpreter

main thing is i don't want it to be a overloaded and slow browser, that takes a life time to load a page.

Whats your Idea now??

Sunday, October 30, 2011 4:04 PM
  • Hi,

I would propose that you use only C# in your project due to your personal experience. I consider your task not as any easy one and it will be quite hard to implement the requested functionality in the given time depending on the conformance level for HTML, CSS and JavaScript you have to achieve.

My guess for the case that you use C++ is that you would spend much of your time in finding and fixing memory leaks since you have not too much experience with C++. Additionally writing secure code is easier in C# than in C++ which might be an important aspect for your project. And programs do not have to be slow just because they had been written in C#

Hope that helps to make up your mind

Stefan

Sunday, October 30, 2011 10:37 PM
  • that was quite helpful,
    Monday, October 31, 2011 9:35 AM