SMO + Azure Data warehouse - how to connect? RRS feed

• Question

• does anyone have an example of how to use SMO to connect to azure data warehouse using AD?

my understanding is that smo uses AD by default, so $server = New-Object ('Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Server') "myserver.database.windows.net" should work but i get a cant connect to server error after a 20sec delay

The following exception occurred while trying to enumerate the collection: "Failed to connect to server
    myserver.database.windows.net.".

i know when connecting with SSMS i need to select "azure active directory - integrated" from the authentication dropdown 

but i couldnt find any examples of how to switch this with smo or create a custom ServerConnection object that works with azure DW

Jakub @ Adelaide, Australia Blog

Thursday, July 16, 2020 5:25 AM

Answers

• figured it out by trawling random github repos

[Reflection.Assembly]::LoadWithPartialName("Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo")
    [Reflection.Assembly]::LoadWithPartialName("Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo") #need this for Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ServerConnection

# Connect to your database (Azure SQL database).
    $serverName = "<your server>"

$connStr = "Server = " + $serverName + "; Authentication = Active Directory Integrated"
    $connection = New-Object Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ServerConnection
    $connection.ConnectionString = $connStr
    $connection.Connect()
    $server = New-Object Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Server($connection)
    $server.databases.name

trying to find doco (none exists) or the right library that let me build a azure connection string for the smo.server connection was terrible

• Marked as answer by jakubk Friday, July 17, 2020 5:06 AM
    Friday, July 17, 2020 5:06 AM

All replies

• You can lookup the correct connection string in your Azure portal.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Thursday, July 16, 2020 7:10 AM
  • i cant see the one for SMO in there, just the regular odbc/jdbc/.net stuff

tried it and got the failed connection straight away

The following exception occurred while trying to enumerate the collection: "Failed to connect to server
    Server=tcp:myserver.database.windows.net,1433;Initial Catalog=mydb;Persist Security Info=False;User
    ID=myuser;MultipleActiveResultSets=False;Encrypt=True;TrustServerCertificate=False;Authentication="Active Directory
    Integrated";.".

Friday, July 17, 2020 12:50 AM
  • figured it out by trawling random github repos

[Reflection.Assembly]::LoadWithPartialName("Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo")
    [Reflection.Assembly]::LoadWithPartialName("Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo") #need this for Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ServerConnection

# Connect to your database (Azure SQL database).
    $serverName = "<your server>"

$connStr = "Server = " + $serverName + "; Authentication = Active Directory Integrated"
    $connection = New-Object Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ServerConnection
    $connection.ConnectionString = $connStr
    $connection.Connect()
    $server = New-Object Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Server($connection)
    $server.databases.name

trying to find doco (none exists) or the right library that let me build a azure connection string for the smo.server connection was terrible

• Marked as answer by jakubk Friday, July 17, 2020 5:06 AM
    Friday, July 17, 2020 5:06 AM