none
Does the WCF-SAP Receive Adapter need to be Clustered? RRS feed

• Question

• I am installing BizTalk 2013 R2 and also the WCF-SAP adapter for sending and receiving messages from SAP.

Does the WCF-SAP Receive Adapter need to be clustered? The help that comes with the SAP Adapter does not mention this. I know previous versions of the SAP Receive Adapter had to be clustered.

If the WCF-SAP Receive Adapter does need to be clustered is there anywhere it states this?

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 3:08 PM

Answers

• I have finally tracked down the documentation that states you do need to cluster the WCF-SAP Adapter in a multi BizTalk server scenario. It is actually under the BizTalk 20010 link but refers to BizTalk 2013 R2!!

Here it is...

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg634522(v=bts.10).aspx

• Architecture for BizTalk Hosts.      BizTalk Server 2013 R2 lets you separate hosts and run multiple host      instances to provide high availability for key functions such as receiving      messages, processing orchestrations, and sending messages. These hosts do      not require any additional clustering or load-balancing mechanism because      BizTalk Server 2013 R2 automatically distributes workload across multiple      computers through host instances. However, hosts running the receive      handlers for the HTTP and SOAP adapters require a load-balancing mechanism      such as Network Load Balancing (NLB) to provide high availability, and      hosts running the receive handlers for FTP, MSMQ, POP3, SQL, and SAP      require a clustering mechanism to provide high availability.

You must always   cluster the SAP receive adapter to accommodate a two-phase commit scenario.

• Marked as answer by Stewart Joyce Tuesday, November 17, 2015 5:46 PM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2015 5:46 PM

All replies

• Hi Stewart,

As per my knowledge you need to cluster the SAP receive. You need to cluster the host that handles the SAP receive. 

To cluster the SAP receive host: open the admin console, find the host, right-click and Cluster.

Thanks, If my reply is helpful please mark as answer or vote as helpful.

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 5:14 PM
  • Kamlesh

I am referring to the WCF-SAP Adapter that comes with the BizTalk Adapter Pack for BizTalk 2013 R2 not the old SAP Adapter.

If I need to cluster the WCF-SAP Receive Adapter then where in the documentation does it state this?

I need this stated somewhere so I can prove this is required to my client.

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 5:23 PM
  • Thank you pointing on Adapter type. I need to check if any document states that to require the clustering the WCF-SAP adapter. 

Though I am not sure it is required to cluster the WCF-SAP adapter if you cluster the mapped host.

Thanks, If my reply is helpful please mark as answer or vote as helpful.

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 6:16 PM
  • Hi Steward,

As you are working with WCF-SAP Receive adapter, your host instance responsible for running your receive location should be clustered .

With scenarios where you simply have two (non-clustered) instances running concurrently:  you may get high availability - but also deadlocks! The two will run independently of each other and can cause you duplicate .With the cluster scenario above, they will run one at the time

To cluster the SAP receive host: open the admin console, find the host, right-click and Cluster.

Hope this answer your question here.

Thanks Abhishek If this answers your question please mark it accordingly. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful by clicking the upward arrow mark next to my reply

• Proposed as answer by Angie Xu Monday, November 16, 2015 1:57 AM
    Tuesday, November 3, 2015 6:24 PM
  • Abhishek

As I have stated to Kamlesh can you point me in the direction of official documentation where this is stated please?

I am fully aware of how to create a clustered BizTalk Host but I need confirmation from official documentation that the WCF-SAP Receive Adapter that comes with BizTalk 2013 R2 needs to be clustered.

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 6:40 PM
  • I have finally tracked down the documentation that states you do need to cluster the WCF-SAP Adapter in a multi BizTalk server scenario. It is actually under the BizTalk 20010 link but refers to BizTalk 2013 R2!!

Here it is...

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg634522(v=bts.10).aspx

• Architecture for BizTalk Hosts.      BizTalk Server 2013 R2 lets you separate hosts and run multiple host      instances to provide high availability for key functions such as receiving      messages, processing orchestrations, and sending messages. These hosts do      not require any additional clustering or load-balancing mechanism because      BizTalk Server 2013 R2 automatically distributes workload across multiple      computers through host instances. However, hosts running the receive      handlers for the HTTP and SOAP adapters require a load-balancing mechanism      such as Network Load Balancing (NLB) to provide high availability, and      hosts running the receive handlers for FTP, MSMQ, POP3, SQL, and SAP      require a clustering mechanism to provide high availability.

You must always   cluster the SAP receive adapter to accommodate a two-phase commit scenario.

• Marked as answer by Stewart Joyce Tuesday, November 17, 2015 5:46 PM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2015 5:46 PM
  • Hi Stewart,

Adapters like FTP, MSMQ, POP3, SAP etc needs to clustered because these protocols doesn't support/implement Mutex Property i.e. ability for multiple program threads to share the same resource. Therefore whichever program/process wants to interact with these protocols needs to explicitly manage single thread processing/reading to avoid duplicate or incomplete data.

Therefore, its a protocol requirement & has nothing to do with BizTalk Adapter Implementation(i.e native SAP or WCF-SAP adapter implementation).

"You must always cluster the SAP receive adapter to accommodate a two-phase commit scenario."

Planning for High Availability

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Prashant
    ----------------------------------------
    Please mark this post accordingly if it answers your query or is helpful.

Thursday, November 19, 2015 8:59 AM