Authorization Cannot Verify access path (C:\inetpub\wwwroot) RRS feed

• Question

• User-1586084966 posted

Hi All

When I go to IIS and select my URL and click on Basic Setting and click on Test Setting I get

Authorization Cannot Verify access path (C:\inetpub\wwwroot), highlighting this gives 

The server is configured to use pass-through authentication with a built-in account to access the specified physical path. However, IIS Manager cannot verify whether the built-in account has access. Make sure that the application pool identity has Read access to the physical path. If this server is joined to a domain, and the application pool identity is NetworkService or LocalSystem, verify that <domain>\<computer_name>$ has Read access to the physical path. Then test these settings again.

So my question is how do I rectify this?

The aim is to have the website accessible from the WWW using the URL 

Thanks

Megawilsound

Thursday, January 7, 2021 12:12 PM

All replies

• User690216013 posted

When I go to IIS and select my URL and click on Basic Setting and click on Test Setting I get

"Test Setting" is well known to give you that meaningless error message. Ignore it as it is irrelevant.

The aim is to have the website accessible from the WWW using the URL 

That requires you configure the site with proper site bindings, and if you are not certain whether the current bindings are good, run Binding Diagnostics and read its report,

https://docs.jexusmanager.com/tutorials/binding-diagnostics.html#background

Friday, January 8, 2021 1:49 AM
  • User1771714573 posted

Hi Megawilsound,

This problem will not affect your access to the site. For example, you can directly enter localhost in the browser to access the Default Web Site. But in the test setting of the Default Web Site, Authorization also has this problem.

The problem is caused by the identity of the application pool. The identities of the application pool are all built-in, such as ApplicationPoolIdentity, LocalSystem, NetworkService, LocalService. But these identities do not really exist on your computer. System allows these virtual identities to exist. When the application pool starts, the w3wp.exe process will be created with these identities. The w3wp.exe process uses this identity to access site resources to ensure that the application can run to process requests.

Another option for the application pool is Custom account. You can set the application pool to run as a windows system user here. You can set it as an administrator or another user (if there are multiple users in your windows). When the identity of the application pool is an administrator, it will have full control of all files in the system. At this time, Authorization will pass.

Best regards,

Brucz

Friday, January 8, 2021 2:56 AM
  • User1771714573 posted

Hi Megawilsound,

Does my solution work for you? If it doesn't work, could you please tell me what problem you get.

Best regards,

Brucz

Thursday, January 21, 2021 9:19 AM
  • User1912691340 posted

Can you add the relevant user as admin from the control panel -> edit local user and group?

Sunday, January 24, 2021 10:55 AM