Visual Studio 2012 Hangs A LOT During Debugging RRS feed

• Question

• User-1334042570 posted

More than any other previous version of Visual Studio, I've noticed that VS2012 hangs quite a bit when I'm debugging my ASP.NET application and want to do something as simple as check the value of a variable.

I've done some research on the subject and all I can find are some suggestions that I need to reinstall Windows and then Visual Studio again.  Whatever!  How about Microsoft recognize this as a serious bug and take steps to fix it?!?

Robert

Friday, April 5, 2013 2:42 PM

Answers

• User281315223 posted

I've haven't noticed any issues regarding hanging or any other performance-related issues while debugging with Visual Studio 2012. 

Have you downloaded all of the most recent updates for Visual Studio 2012 (and any other important updates that might be available through Window Update)? You should also do the usual checks for viruses etc.

Those would be my primary recommendations, especially before reinstalling Visual Studio or Windows.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, April 5, 2013 4:05 PM

All replies

• User281315223 posted

I've haven't noticed any issues regarding hanging or any other performance-related issues while debugging with Visual Studio 2012. 

Have you downloaded all of the most recent updates for Visual Studio 2012 (and any other important updates that might be available through Window Update)? You should also do the usual checks for viruses etc.

Those would be my primary recommendations, especially before reinstalling Visual Studio or Windows.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, April 5, 2013 4:05 PM
  • User-1049248590 posted

Hi Dude,

Please check out the below link.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/902244/what-can-cause-visual-studio-to-hang-while-debugging

Friday, April 5, 2013 6:29 PM
  • User-691245060 posted

I never observed it to....download VS 2012 Update 2...

thanks,

Saturday, April 6, 2013 8:56 AM
  • User-1334042570 posted

I thought I had all the updates.  I did not.  I've now installed VS2012 - Update #2.  Hopefully this will help to resolve the problem.

Thank you all for your feedback!

Saturday, April 6, 2013 10:08 AM
  • User-1334042570 posted

It's now been a month since I added my original post.  All of the VS2012 Updates have been applied.  Yet VS2012 is still periodically hanging.  There's no sense to when or why it happens.  I'll add a breakpoint somewhere and then step through my code.  It usually lets me go through a few lines, check a few values and then . . . suddenly it hangs up.

I hope that Microsoft can resolve this with Update 3.

Friday, May 3, 2013 7:13 PM
  • User46052499 posted

Just to add my voice to yours, I have the same problem.  Before Update 2, the problem was worse, but largely limited to working in xaml in silverlight.  Now in Asp, even going from one open window to another can take 10 seconds, and I have only 4 open windows.

I have 18 GB RAM, i7 2.93 GHZ system.  The only app open is VS. There is definitely something wrong here.

Jav

Friday, May 31, 2013 11:10 AM
  • User1372637756 posted

After a lot of cussing, I figured out my problem with Visual Studio debug sessions hanging and failing repeatedly...don't know if this helps someone else, but I made the mistake of installing Google Earth.  This automatically installed the ASK tool bar, the bane of my existence.  I tried uninstalling and disabling this addon but alas, it came back to me like a boomerang.  I finally was able to uninstall it using a special tool that I got from the Ask toolbar FAQs, which probably cleaned my registry of any remnants of the Ask addon.  Now, my Visual Studio debug sessions always function properly and debugging my web pages is a lot less frustrating.

Sunday, June 2, 2013 10:20 AM
  • User209782248 posted

Hey Robert,

The biggest cause of Visual Studio hanging during debugging is function evaluation, which is done anytime you hover over a variable or have variables added to your watch window.  VS needs the thread to execute to a "safe point" in order to trigger the evaluation of your variable.  This can sometimes take a long time, esp. in Release mode when the code is optimized.

The best ways I've found to reduce hanging:

1. Turn off "Enable property evaluation and other implicit function calls" in Debugging\General options

2. Close the "Parallel stacks" window if you have it open

3. Remove items from your "Watch" window

4. Debugging processes with very high numbers of threads is slow because the debugger has to pause/resume all threads.  Reducing number of threads during debugging really helps, which is why we dial down our threading use in debug mode.

Best,

Mike Volodarsky
    Former ASP.NET PM
    Founder/CTO at LeanSentry 

Thursday, June 27, 2013 9:53 AM
  • User-1334042570 posted

Thanks for the tips, Mike.  I've just effected #1.  #2 isn't an option in my case.  I only have a few items in the Watch window but do need them.

We'll see if this cures the problem.

Robert

Thursday, June 27, 2013 12:35 PM
  • User-366192218 posted

This problem has affected me for about 6 months. It seems to happen consistently when I'm debugging a paritcular Azure MVC Cloud Service project. I've found that option #1, disabling property evaluation, is an effective workaround. However, you then obviously loose property evaluation, which is a pain. I retested after applying update 2 and just yesterday after applying update 3 and I was very disappointed to see that the problem is still present.

I don't have a verified diagnosis, but intuition and anecdotal evidence leads me to believe this has something to do with debugging javascript (it doesn't always hang in js, but js is present when the problem happens).

I had previously submitted input on a connect issue related to this problem, but now I can't find it.

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 12:28 PM