About the Store project templates RRS feed

• Question

• If you look at the XAML for a Split App template project in the ItemsPage - you can see the main Grid has two sub items a GridView and another Grid with the back button and page title.

There's a comment in the XAML:

<!--
            This grid acts as a root panel for the page that defines two rows:
            * Row 0 contains the back button and page title
            * Row 1 contains the rest of the page layout
        -->

In the XAML itself the GridView appears lexically first, followed by the smaller Grid (back button, page title).

So I'm confused as to how the back button etc appear at the top of the page (row zero) and the DataGrid appears below it (row one) - I can see nothing in these sub-elements that seems to associated them with a particular row in their containing Grid.

Can anyone explain?

Thx

Cap'n

a

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 3:22 PM

Answers

• See C#, VB, and C++ project templates for Windows Store apps for documentation and explanation of the templates.

Items default to Grid 0 / Row 0 if that isn't set otherwise. The tricky part is that both the Back button & page title grid and the main GridView are in that position. The GridView has RowSpan="2" so it spans into both rows, and is further shifts its contents with the Padding property.

This question is specific to how to implement a design in Xaml and not to how the design should look. Since it is Xaml specific and relevant to HTML developers it needs to go in one of the Xaml forums.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Anne Jing Tuesday, October 29, 2013 9:19 AM
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 7:52 PM

All replies

• The UI Design for Windows Store apps forum is for language agnostic discussion of application UI design. For questions about coding your Windows Store apps please post in the appropriate forum for the language and UI layer that you are using.

--Rob

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 3:43 PM
  • The UI Design for Windows Store apps forum is for language agnostic discussion of application UI design. For questions about coding your Windows Store apps please post in the appropriate forum for the language and UI layer that you are using.

--Rob

I'm trying I really am but it's not always obvious Rob - my question for example is purely about the logical basis for determining what the rendered order is of GUI elements defined in the XAML file so I didn't think of it as a code (C#) related question but more of a general question about what dictates that ordering insofar as the visible UI is concerned.

OK so XAML is a language and isn't the only way to create these apps - I get that but I tend to forget it too sometimes.

Also I suspected that the eventual answer to this would be language agnostic - but that remains to be seen.

Thanks

Cap'n

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 3:58 PM
  • See C#, VB, and C++ project templates for Windows Store apps for documentation and explanation of the templates.

Items default to Grid 0 / Row 0 if that isn't set otherwise. The tricky part is that both the Back button & page title grid and the main GridView are in that position. The GridView has RowSpan="2" so it spans into both rows, and is further shifts its contents with the Padding property.

This question is specific to how to implement a design in Xaml and not to how the design should look. Since it is Xaml specific and relevant to HTML developers it needs to go in one of the Xaml forums.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Anne Jing Tuesday, October 29, 2013 9:19 AM
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 7:52 PM