Will there be an Expression Blend SDK for Silverlight 5 download? RRS feed

Answers

All replies

• You can continue to use the Expression Blend Preview for Silverlight 5 to edit Silverlight 5 RTM projects. 

Install the Blend Preview for Silverlight 5 first, and then install the Silverlight 5 SDK.  That will replace the SDK files.

We are working on an updated installer that will provide an easier setup experience for you.

Expression Blend Preview for Silverlight 5

Thanks,

Lori

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 9:58 PM
  • Hi Lori,

Thanks for the quick response.  So just to confirm, there will a be a final version of the Expression Blend SDK for Silverlight 5 download available at some point in the future, correct? 

Thanks

-Rex

Thursday, December 15, 2011 12:07 AM
  • Hi Rex,

Yes, we will be releasing a version of Blend for Silverlight 5.

It's not a "Blend SDK", rather it's Blend packaged with the final, released version of the Silverlight 5 SDK.  The underlying version of Blend is not changing, just the SDK it targets. 

You can go ahead and use the current Blend Preview for Silverlight 5, as long as you replace the Silverlight SDK after you install it.

Hope that info helps!

Lori

Thursday, December 15, 2011 12:50 AM
  • Thanks Lori,

Sorry, I still need clarification...

The "Expression Blend SDK for Silverlight 5 Beta" is included with the "Expression Blend Preview for Silverlight 5" download (see screenshot below).   In the past there were downloads for the "Expression Blend 3 SDK" and the "Expression Blend SDK for Silverlight 4" so you could install the Expression Blend libraries and use them with Silverlight applications, without having to install or purchase Expression Blend or Studio.  This was very convenient for Silverlight developers since they were lightweight and free. 

With this in mind, will there be a download for the "Expression Blend SDK for Silverlight 5" by itself?

If the answer is no, will the "Expression Blend for Silverlight 5" product be free to use, not a trial? 

Thanks

-Rex

Thursday, December 15, 2011 9:18 AM
  • Fully agree with Rex.  I'd love to know the answer to his question.  The Blend SDK is very important to us.
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 10:53 PM
  • Any replies / updates on this Lori?   Even an "I don't know" would be much appreciated over this mysterious radio silence.  

Thanks!  

• Edited by dshorter Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:09 PM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:08 PM
  • Hi dshorter,

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be mysterious.  I've asked the question and haven't gotten an answer yet.  I'll provide an update when I have a definitive answer.  Until then, I simply don't have anything to share.

Thanks,

Lori

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:12 PM
  • Hi Lori,

It is nearly 3 months since Silverlight 5 launched. Could you press whomever for an answer to this sooner rather than later?

It is an important issue for several customers.

Thanks,

Richard

Friday, March 2, 2012 10:34 AM
  • The SDKs are extremely important for Continuous Integration build servers, especially when we are talking about products with license fees attached to them.
    Wednesday, March 7, 2012 12:07 AM
  • Agreed, I'd really like to know when a version of the Blend SDK that is built against Silverlight 5 will be available.  The current version built against Silverlight 4 throws code analysis warnings, which is annoying.
    Thursday, March 22, 2012 2:25 AM
  • New Update:http://blendinsider.com/news/visual-authoring-for-the-windows-8-consumer-preview-with-blend-and-visual-studio-2012-02-29/

Creativity Flows

Thursday, March 22, 2012 8:17 PM
  • Yes, the preview dev tools for the preview OS have been updated to deal with XAML.  Meanwhile, actual customers who paid actual money are still waiting for tools to deal with the released software.
    Thursday, March 22, 2012 8:47 PM
  • While we cannot comment on future plans, we should have news to share with you about this soon.

Thanks for your comments.

Lori

Thursday, March 22, 2012 8:58 PM
  • My Expression Blend Preview for Silverlight 5 told me at install that it would be expiring on Thursday, 29th Mar.  I assumed this date applied to all consumers of the software.  What should we do to work with Silverlight 5 after Thursday, please?  [In case of confusion, I'm in a timezone about 8hours before Washington state]  This isn't an immediate show-stopper for me.
    Monday, March 26, 2012 3:52 PM
  • I"m seeing an expiration of March 31, 2012, and i'm in the Mountain Timezone.
    Monday, March 26, 2012 9:38 PM

Same here.  Our project team relies heavily on Blend 5 Preview for our SL5 development.  If we can't get a new release by March 31, please provide a way to extend the preview so we can continue to work.  We are extremely pressed for time right now and losing our primary design tool towards the end of a high-profile project will strand us dead in the water and put the project at critical risk.

Thanks.

Thursday, March 29, 2012 1:21 PM

Take a look at this post and answer from Chuck Hays with Microsoft... http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/blend/thread/fef47051-c14b-49cf-a13e-6537ef96d1d0

http://www.microsoft.com/expression/products/Blend_FAQ.aspx

Q: What happens to my Silverlight 5 projects when the Blend Preview for Silverlight 5 expires?

A: The Preview release will be updated as necessary to ensure continued support for Silverlight 5 projects until the release of Silverlight 5 and associated tools.

~Christine

Thursday, March 29, 2012 5:38 PM
  • We published the updated Blend Preview for Silverlight 5 today.  You can get more info on our team blog:http://blendinsider.com/version-expression-blend-4/updated-microsoft-expression-blend-preview-for-silverlight-5-2012-03-29/

The updated download is available on the Microsoft Download Center at http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=9503

Thanks,

Lori

Thursday, March 29, 2012 6:29 PM
  • Lori-

That still doesn't answer the original question of when do we get an Expression Blend SDK for Silverlight 5?

Thursday, March 29, 2012 8:37 PM
  • Thanks very much.  Much appreciated.
    Friday, March 30, 2012 9:58 AM
  • We published the updated Blend Preview for Silverlight 5 today.  You can get more info on our team blog:http://blendinsider.com/version-expression-blend-4/updated-microsoft-expression-blend-preview-for-silverlight-5-2012-03-29/

The updated download is available on the Microsoft Download Center at http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=9503

Thanks,

Lori

If you have installed the new version from above and it still says expired, this is the workaround:

in Registry Editor :

Go to Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Expression\Blend 
    and delete this DWORD value : {B079CC9C-3A9F-4570-909C-900D638AA038}
    or search in the registry for {B079CC9C-3A9F-4570-909C-900D638AA038} and delete it.

with grateful thanks to Sebastien Chandonnet

https://connect.microsoft.com/Expression/feedback/details/734979/blend-5-is-displaying-expired-even-after-beta-upgrade#tabs

• Edited by rmcsharry Monday, April 2, 2012 6:39 PM
    Monday, April 2, 2012 6:38 PM
  • Hi Lori,

To reiterate what StormRider01 mentioned, the original question pertains to the availability of the Expression Blend SDK for Silverlight 5 as a separate download.   Not as a Preview and not included with a full install of Expression Blend (as it is now).   We want to build Silverlight 5 components that just rely on the Blend SDK, not the Blend IDE, as we did with Silverlight 4.  Really just looking for a yes or no at this point. 

Thanks

-Rex         

Monday, April 9, 2012 10:19 AM
  • Lori,

There is still no clear answer to this thread.   Will there be an Expression Blend SDK for Silverlight 5 as a separate download?   The current download of the Expression Blend Preview for Silverlight 5 is NOT the same thing.    If the answer is no, just say no. 

-Rex

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 5:51 PM
  • Hi Rex,

We are not at liberty to comment on future plans.  In April we released an update for the Blend Preview for Silverlight 5.  There's simply nothing more that I can tell you at this time.

Lori

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 6:02 PM
  • In April we released an update for the Blend Preview for Silverlight 5.

This is problematic: the Blend Preview for Silverlight 5 is not RTM code which is fully supported.  That makes it essentially beta.  That means I have trouble shipping Silverlight 5 products that use the Blend SDK.  All of our software goes through several quality gates one of which is "does not contain beta or pre-release code".  I can't get this issue resolved until Microsoft ships a release version of the Blend SDK for Silverlight 5.

It's been six months since Silverlight 5 was released.  This has gone through frustrating into ridiculous.  Unless, of course, Microsoft's goal is that no one gets paid for Silverlight 5 apps in which case we're 100% on target.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 6:14 PM
  • Thanks, Mike.  I'll share your feedback with the team.

Just so you're fully aware, the April release contains a "go-live" license.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 6:17 PM
  • Thanks, I am aware of the go-live license.  But it doesn't change the fact that the SDK is unsupported pre-release software that I can't get through what most people would call a very reasonable quality check.
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 6:19 PM
  • You do know that the "go-live" license means fully supported right?

Keep your head in the Clouds as you're coding .NET http://azurecoding.net

Friday, July 13, 2012 2:15 PM
  • Hi,

For your information the SKD in embedded in the Blend Preview installer.

Unzip the installer with 7.z for instance and the SDK installer is located in one of the folder.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 1:27 PM
  • Wow!!  This is amazing, so there is NO "Official" Expression Blend SDK for Silverlight 5???  I guess when Microsoft drop a product they really do drop it like a hot rock.  

My jaw had dropped and I don't know what to say, I paid $11,300 for my MSDN subscription and have been paying $3K a year (well over $30,000 spent on MSDN subscriptions) for a long time and this is how Microsoft handle me?  I'm at a loss for words -- time to start developing applications for Apple I guess ... wow, all I can say is wow!

I can't deploy "Preview" anything in my production environment, and for good reason (read lots of bugs).  I need to use some key DLLs ... specifically Microsoft.Expression.Interactions.dll and System.Windows.Interactivity.dll and these need to be solid for SL5 ... I can NOT rely on "Preview" versions of these.

Guess it's time to reach for that phone, this is just unacceptable.

Rob

Friday, September 7, 2012 4:32 PM
  •  ^Bump. Will there be a "Final" release of Blend SDK for Silverlight 5 or we just gonna keep using "Preview" at this point.
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 11:08 PM
  • No one seems willing to answer this or even knows ... reading the documentation it says the "Preview" will expire June 30th, 2013.  It also says it has a "go live" license, but again, if it expires June 30th, 2013 what's the point in having a "go live" license.

Can someone please clarify?

Friday, November 9, 2012 5:00 PM
  • Hey, now that Sinofsky got ejected, and MS employees don't have to worry about being shot for uttering the word Silverlight, will someone please answer this question?
    Wednesday, January 9, 2013 1:23 PM
  • Extremely unlikely- Expression is getting sucked into Visual Studio 2012: /http://www.microsoft.com/expression/

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 4:30 PM
  • As we recently announced, we are planning to release authoring support for WPF and Silverlight 5 for Blend along with the upcoming quarterly release of Visual Studio 2012.  You can see the detailed announcement at http://expression.microsoft.com.

We are planning to release a Blend SDK as a part of that release.

Thanks,

Lori

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 6:31 PM
  • Lori,

I'm reading this thread here: Blend Preview for VS 2012 and it seems to indicate that we're still do NOT have a go-live license for the SDK for SL5?

This is a preview version for evaluation only and none of the platforms contain a go-live license. You should use other released versions of Blend for production work. The table below lists the Blend Platforms and the version of Blend you should use for production applications.

PLATFORM
    GO LIVE BLEND VERSION
    Windows Store apps, HTML	Blend for Visual Studio 2012
    Windows Store apps, XAML	Blend for Visual Studio 2012
    Silverlight 4.0	Expression Blend 4
    Silverlight 5.0	Expression Blend Preview for Silverlight 5
    WPF 3.5/4.0	Expression Blend 4
    WPF 4.5	Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 Professional
    WPF/Silverlight Prototypes	Expression Blend 4

Also this statement:

"We are committed to releasing a production-ready version of Blend that supports these platforms in the upcoming Visual Studio 2012 Update 2."

So I guess my question still stands, is there going to be a "Go Live" version of Blend SDK for SL5 that I use with VS 2010?  I have no plans to move to VS 2012, can I get just the Go-Live version of  Blend SL5 SDK without having to install VS 2012?

Thanks, Rob.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 12:35 AM
  • Hi Lori,

The Expression Blend Preview for Silverlight 5 product has just expired.  So to build on Rob's question, if I use VS2010 and cannot move to VS2012 (for some reason or another), how do I get the the Blend SDK for SL5 assemblies?  

Can the Blend SDK for SL5 assemblies included with Expression Blend Preview for Silverlight 5 still be distributed, even though the product has expired?   

To build Silverlight 5 applications with Blend, do I have to use VS2012 (update 2+) now?

Thanks
    -Rex

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 9:09 PM
  • Hi Rex,

With Visual Studio 2012 Update 2, all of the SDKs are already included. So you are right that you could just rebuild your Silverlight 5 application with the Blend SDK for Silverlight 5 that is installed as a part of Visual Studio 2012 Update 2.

If you already have a live site that is using the Blend SDK for SL5 assemblies included in the Blend Preview for Silverlight 5 as well, that is just fine as well. We really have made no changes to the binaries between the two releases from a functional perspective.

Thanks,
    Unni

Unni Ravindranathan, Program Manager, Visual Studio and Blend This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 11:24 PM
  • Hi Unni,

Thanks for the quick response.  So the answers to my questions would be...

Q: I use VS2010 and cannot move to VS2012 (for some reason or another), how do I get the the Blend SDK for SL5 assemblies?    
    A: Install the Expression Blend Preview for Silverlight 5 and use the Blend assemblies provided, however the Blend IDE will not function because it has expired. 

Q: Can the Blend SDK for SL5 assemblies included with Expression Blend Preview for Silverlight 5 still be distributed, even though the product has expired?     
    A: Yes.  

Q: To build Silverlight 5 applications with Blend, do I have to use VS2012 (update 2+) now?
    A: Yes.  To use the Blend IDE to build Silverlight 5 applications, you must use Blend for Visual Studio 2012. 

Let me know if this is incorrect. 

Thanks
    -Rex

• Proposed as answer by markini Tuesday, July 23, 2013 2:26 PM
    Friday, July 5, 2013 9:30 PM
  • That's over a year ago now, and all previews of Blend supporting SL5 have expired (see the question "Blend Preview for Silverlight 5 expired" in this forum). It looks as if there's currently no Blend for SL5 usable at all.
    • Proposed as answer by tbrinkman Thursday, September 5, 2013 12:45 PM
    Monday, July 8, 2013 1:35 PM
  • Expression Blend has been rolled into Visual Studio 2012 Update 2.  If you have VS2012 further information is here: http://www.microsoft.com/expression/eng/

• Blend will continue to ship as a standalone tool with Visual Studio 2012, as part of a consolidated designer/developer offering. Blend for Visual Studio 2012 provides a rich design-centric environment for building Windows Store apps and Windows Phone apps. In addition to that, WPF, Silverlight and SketchFlow support is available today as a preview and will be released in Visual Studio 2012 Update 2.

If you have further difficulty with Blend you should also try the Blend forum http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-US/home?category=windowsapps

Monday, July 15, 2013 9:52 PM
  • So, the answer to this question is, "No, it's been utterly abandoned by Microsoft?"

The download isn't even available anymore.  We're trying to set up a dev box for a new developer, and we can't get this necessary software.  We're still on VS 2010.

• Proposed as answer by tbrinkman Thursday, September 5, 2013 12:49 PM
    Wednesday, September 4, 2013 8:42 PM
  • Unni,

If we have to set up a development box for a new developer who will be maintaining "a live site that is using the Blend SDK for SL5 assemblies included in the Blend Preview for Silverlight 5", where can we get an installable copy of the Blend SDK for SL 5 that will install and run with Visual Studio 2010?

- Theo

Thursday, September 5, 2013 12:48 PM