none
Common Dialog Box Tool - No ActiveX showing up in list of tools RRS feed

• Question

• Hi people, I've just been upgraded to Office 360 ProPlus which includes Excel 2013.  An Excel file that I made a couple years back that utilized the Common Dialog Control has worked through Excel 2007 but my new Excel 2013 no longer recognizes the object on my spreadsheet.  A review of References had MISSING next to the object's entry.  I tried copying the COMDLG32.dll and *.ocx from my previous computer and neither would be recognized or registered.  I'm also getting errors on startup for my option button objects which I believe I can replace with the new control options.  What's the current story regarding use of the Common Dialog control to be called from code?  Is it truly no longer a selectable activeX object that we place on the spreadsheet surface?  Thanks for any help
    Thursday, January 15, 2015 4:27 PM

Answers

• Didn't do anything else, but I reloaded the file now and it's working!!! Common Dialog and option button controls all work.  Thanks to all for posting
    • Marked as answer by Rainmanrfw2 Friday, January 23, 2015 1:01 AM
    Friday, January 23, 2015 1:01 AM

All replies

• There are currently problems with ActiveX controls, after a faulty update in December 2014. See https://support.microsoft.com/kb/3025036/en-us.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar (http://www.eileenslounge.com)

Thursday, January 15, 2015 10:45 PM
  • Hi Rainmanrfw2,

Do you succeed register that library in your machine?

Do you find that control in the ActiveX control list after register it?

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, January 16, 2015 8:04 AM
  • Are using Windows-64, and if so are you using Office 32 or 64.

If Win-64 with Office-32, ensure the dll is registered in the sysWOW64 folder. If you have Office-64 it won't work. BTW which control(s) are you using?

Sunday, January 18, 2015 12:06 PM
  • Hi Peter, my OS is Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 on a 64 bit machine.  I have Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus "Subscription Product"  This is a Corporate engineering laptop.  Excel is 2013 (15.0.4675.1001) MSO (15.0.4675.1002) 32-bit.  The controls were the Common Dialog Control, the option buttons, some regular buttons.  The Common Dialog Control is not even offered in my Excel Developer toolbox.  In fact, when I open the workbook and go into "Design" mode the icon representing the former Common Dialog Control is now a small white square with a red X across it.  Any specific instruction for proper registering of controls would be appreciated.  I don't do that enough to stay current.
    Thursday, January 22, 2015 7:59 PM
  • Not yet Starain.  Still looking for solutions.  See my reply below.

Thursday, January 22, 2015 8:00 PM
  • Hi Peter, I have Comdlg32.dll and Comdlg32.ocx located in my \sysWOW64 folder.  Their file dates are 11/20/2010 and 5/22/2000 respectively.  Pardon my ineptness at registering either of these.  From the command prompt, I navigated to the \sysWOW64 folder and ran the utility regsvr32 against both files.  I received the error messages below.

The module "comdlg32.ocx" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x8002801c.

The module "comdlg32.dll" was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found.  Make sure that comdlg32.dll is a valid DLL or OCX file then try again.

• Edited by Rainmanrfw2 Thursday, January 22, 2015 8:18 PM
    Thursday, January 22, 2015 8:18 PM
  • New information, I found a recommendation to run the regsvr32 program as Administrator and was successful with the comdlg32.ocx file in both the \sysWoW64 folder and \system32 folder.  The control is now a selectable object in my toolbox.  Now, however, when I attempt to place in on the worksheet surface, I get an error message ...."Can't insert object".  Getting closer....
    Friday, January 23, 2015 12:38 AM
  • Didn't do anything else, but I reloaded the file now and it's working!!! Common Dialog and option button controls all work.  Thanks to all for posting
    • Marked as answer by Rainmanrfw2 Friday, January 23, 2015 1:01 AM
    Friday, January 23, 2015 1:01 AM
  • It sounds like even though the file was located in your SysWo32 it wasn't actually registered, as I first suggested you look at :)
    Friday, January 23, 2015 7:23 PM