Robotic Parts and Partners RRS feed

• Question

• Hello I need help finding web resources where i can purchase robotic parts compatible with MRDS 4 because the partners information from the site is not working and not giving any information. I am particularly interested in a robotic amiable camera platform similar to the kinect but able to aim its sight anywhere up,down and left to right

Thanks for the help

Friday, August 30, 2013 9:36 PM

Answers

• Hi,

RDS has support for typical web cameras, and of course Kinect. Kinect has a built in actuated tilt mechanism, but the pan is limited (and un-actuated). If you want a full pan/tilt system, you may want to consider one of the hobby ones (i.e. something more robust than this) and mount a camera on it.

Controlling servos of pan/tilt can be done using any of the microcontrollers that have PWM capability.

If all you need is to control a pan/tilt system, consider a simpler route than using MRDS, i.e. try a microcontroller like teensy (www.pjrc.com). 

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 2:24 AM
  • In terms of getting started with a particular microcontroller/dev board, you'll need to refer to the documentation for those products (usually you should be able to find online so you can understand exactly what you'll need to get started before purchasing).

For the board you linked to, at first glance it looks like you will either need to write or find suitable software to run on it to control your motors and interface with a host PC.  There are also more "turn-key" solutions.  Phidgets (available on the same site) are one example.  In the case of Phidgets there some services here:  http://mrdsphidgets.codeplex.com/  .  These might be a bit out of date but are likely a good starting point.  Phidgets are just one example - there are many other solutions out there too.

Friday, September 6, 2013 6:29 PM
  • Hello Alejandro

For microcontroller, I suggest you to use an Arduino (it's pretty easy even if you don't have much of electricity knowledge and there is a lot of tutorial online). Every microcontroller has different way for programming and communicate. If we follow your plan it would looks like that : 

Kinect -----> Connected to your PC

PWM Servos w/ good voltage AND intensity ---> MicroController (Arduino /phidget / BasicAtom or even Rasberry Pie) ----> Connect to PC

Then, Program the microcontroller to make your own protocol for the communication between your pc and the servos. Then create your client interface with the language of your choice to wrap all this up :)

Have fun !

Friday, September 6, 2013 6:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

RDS has support for typical web cameras, and of course Kinect. Kinect has a built in actuated tilt mechanism, but the pan is limited (and un-actuated). If you want a full pan/tilt system, you may want to consider one of the hobby ones (i.e. something more robust than this) and mount a camera on it.

Controlling servos of pan/tilt can be done using any of the microcontrollers that have PWM capability.

If all you need is to control a pan/tilt system, consider a simpler route than using MRDS, i.e. try a microcontroller like teensy (www.pjrc.com). 

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 2:24 AM
  • Thanks this is very helpful, I am just a developer and I am new in robotics so please help me with another question.

I want to implement face recognition and tracking (aiming), so far as i understand i need the pan tilt system with the movement motors or Servos, then a microcontroller with PWM capability to control the servos, i found this one: http://www.robotshop.com/productinfo.aspx?pc=RB-Spa-650&lang=en-US

Now for the microcontroller how do I get the driver and how can I API to it via MRDS or via C# ?

Thanks again

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 7:53 PM
  • In terms of getting started with a particular microcontroller/dev board, you'll need to refer to the documentation for those products (usually you should be able to find online so you can understand exactly what you'll need to get started before purchasing).

For the board you linked to, at first glance it looks like you will either need to write or find suitable software to run on it to control your motors and interface with a host PC.  There are also more "turn-key" solutions.  Phidgets (available on the same site) are one example.  In the case of Phidgets there some services here:  http://mrdsphidgets.codeplex.com/  .  These might be a bit out of date but are likely a good starting point.  Phidgets are just one example - there are many other solutions out there too.

Friday, September 6, 2013 6:29 PM
  • Hello Alejandro

For microcontroller, I suggest you to use an Arduino (it's pretty easy even if you don't have much of electricity knowledge and there is a lot of tutorial online). Every microcontroller has different way for programming and communicate. If we follow your plan it would looks like that : 

Kinect -----> Connected to your PC

PWM Servos w/ good voltage AND intensity ---> MicroController (Arduino /phidget / BasicAtom or even Rasberry Pie) ----> Connect to PC

Then, Program the microcontroller to make your own protocol for the communication between your pc and the servos. Then create your client interface with the language of your choice to wrap all this up :)

Have fun !

Friday, September 6, 2013 6:57 PM