Unable to open XAML file in Blend through VS2008 after installing Windows Phone bits RRS feed

• Question

• After installing the Windows Phone bits and the Blend 4 beta. I tried to open a previously existing SL project into Blend with VS2008 and noticed that it was attempting to open it in Blend 4 beta. It gave me a whole bunch of warnings and also I cancelled the loading of the XAML file because I was afraid that opening it in Blend 4 would upgrade the XAML file to something uncompatible with Blend 3. So, I uninstalled the Blend 4 beta.

Now I cannot open any XAML files in in Blend through VS2008 (or VS2010 for that matter). I get an error that the XAML file is not compatible. I can open the file directly with Blend 3, but I lose any integration with Visual Studio. As suggested in some other postings here, I tried to do a repair install of Blend 3, but that failed, with the complaint that an installed file did not exist (Release Notes.html, which they did).

Any suggestions os to what should I do to get things back in order?

Thursday, March 25, 2010 7:20 PM

All replies

• Howdy,

Sounds like your file associations are screwed up. Are you double clicking the sln file from explorer to open it, or inside of Blend 3 clicking File->Open->xxx ?

If you are double clicking the sln file, instead you need to right click on it and select OPEN WITH -> and then Choose Program... from inside of that dialog, navigate to Blend3.exe

As you have seen, you need to be a bit careful with SLN version types etc, Blend4 and VS2010 will automatically attempt to convert the solution type etc.

Hope this helps, if not - let us know more.

Cheers

Expression MVP

my blog : http://x-coders.com/blogs/sneaky/default.aspx

Thursday, March 25, 2010 8:03 PM
  • I've resolved the problem. I had to uninstall Expression studio and reinstall it. After that I also reinstalled the bit for Windows Phone 7. Apparently the installation of Blend 4.0 beta is what got me in trouble.
    Friday, March 26, 2010 4:38 AM