Toolbox Controls: Add custom Silverlight controls to specific tab in VS2010 using WiX/MSI RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all.  First off, thanks to the VSX folks for making extensibility in VS 2010 easier than previous versions.  Great stuff.  Having said that, I'm not using much of it for this particular scenario.  I couldn't figure out how to get the default VSX templates to work for a set of custom Silverlight controls/assemblies and a set of custom templates, so I bailed and used WiX to create the registry key for VS and Blend to interrogate for Toolbox items (SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Silverlight\v4.0\AssemblyFoldersEx\MyProductName).

My question is this:  Is it possible to have VS install the controls into a custom tab using this approach, or is another approach needed?  Is it possible to use the registry key approach and have VS interrogate a package installer to define the controls to create and the tab for it go in?  In other words, does VS look for a package with the PackageRegistrationAttribute, or does it ignore this for the registry key approach, or just fall back to default behavior if a package is not found.

I hope that question is clear.  Thanks for any insight you can provide, team.

Best, David

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 9:23 PM

Answers

• David,

When you create the "Toolbox" subkey under your AssemblyFoldersEx entry, you can also create a string value called "TabName" which specifies the toolbox tab into which the items will be placed.

-Josh Stevens

VS Shell team

• Proposed as answer by Victor_Chen Tuesday, October 19, 2010 6:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by Victor_Chen Tuesday, October 26, 2010 2:36 AM
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 6:17 AM

All replies

• Hi David,

Thanks for your posting. We are following up with development teams and will get back to you soon.

Best Regards,

Ziwei Chen

Friday, October 15, 2010 6:45 AM
  • David,

When you create the "Toolbox" subkey under your AssemblyFoldersEx entry, you can also create a string value called "TabName" which specifies the toolbox tab into which the items will be placed.

-Josh Stevens

VS Shell team

• Proposed as answer by Victor_Chen Tuesday, October 19, 2010 6:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by Victor_Chen Tuesday, October 26, 2010 2:36 AM
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 6:17 AM
  • Josh, thanks.  Works great!
    Monday, November 1, 2010 3:42 PM