none
Word 2016 Add-In only works when running as an admin on Windows 8 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm currently developing a taskpane add-in for Word 2016 in through Word JS and Office JS, but for users on Windows 8 it only functions if they run Word as an admin.  On Windows 10, this does not seem to be an issue.  How can I make sure the add-in functions when users are not running as an admin in Windows 8?
    Wednesday, August 10, 2016 4:22 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Where are the source files located on the machine? Is it the C drive which requires admin privileges?

[custom.development]

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 4:43 PM
  • The Add-in lives on a server that the manifest file (located on our organizational Sharepoint) points to, so all the files should be loaded into the IE 11 taskpane inside of Word. 
    Wednesday, August 10, 2016 4:45 PM
  • Hi ChosunOne,

Did you install Word 2016 in Windows 8? Did you get any error message or what issue do you have when run Word add in in Windows 8? I suggest you install other Word Add in from Store to check whether it is related with your Add in.

>> so all the files should be loaded into the IE 11 taskpane inside of Word.

If you open your web page which is set in "<SourceLocation DefaultValue="~remoteAppUrl/Home.html" />" from IE in Windows 8, could it be loaded correctly?

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, August 11, 2016 2:48 AM
  • I can confirm that Windows 2016 is installed on the machine with Windows 8, and as far as I can tell there are no error messages or issues when running Word on the machine.  If I just load the page in my browser it won't work because it requires an Office.initialize to happen since I am using the Office.context.UI.displayDialogAsync function to handle authentication before any features are enabled.  Before we put the add in on sharepoint the Windows 8 machine was unable to sideload the addin unless we ran as an administrator as well.  Now the addin will appear in the task pane, but I suspect the Office.initialize is failing to happen.
    Thursday, August 11, 2016 2:42 PM
  • Hi ChosunOne,

>> as far as I can tell there are no error messages or issues when running Word on the machine.

What do you mean with this? If so, could you tell us where your add-in did not work?

Is your Office version build 16.0.6741.0000 or later? To check whether it is related with your specific add-in, I suggest you create a simple add-in, and test it again. In addition, I think you could add a simple page without office.js in it, and then check whether it could be opened in Windows 8.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, August 12, 2016 5:58 AM
  • I mean that the office component of the page seems to fail to run in the addin.  The addin loads into the taskpane, but no page elements respond to any input.  Since office js is required to run prior to anything else on the page, if it fails I would expect this behavior.  The version of Word is 16.0.6769.2040. 
    Monday, August 15, 2016 3:45 PM
  • Hi ChosunOne,

Did this issue exist in a new simple Office Add-ins?

If not, I suggest you replace home.html and home.js in your original project to check whether this issue still exist.

Best Regards,

Edward

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 6:36 AM