none
Error Page in Loading Custom Assembly RRS feed

• Question

• I have just completed Sharepoint Customization and Development in my local VPC. Now, I want to deploy to the development server. The customization include one subsite of the existing website. I use stsadm to export and import the site. The export import went smooth. But, when I load the page that is already customized using SharePoint Designer that has custom controls inside, the page is failed to load. I remove the custom control from the page, it's succesfully loaded. The error just show some generic message: "An unexpected error occured".

I have configured the web.config to run under "Full" trust, and have included the controls under SafeControl. The assembly (DLL) has been copied to bin folder, or install to GAC. I have populated the Web Part under Web Parts Galleries. The custom assembly is just purely .NET 2.0 signed assembly, built using VS2005. 

In fact, there's other site (the parent site), that already used other assembly, and that site runs smoothly. I try to use custom control from that assembly, and it can run succesfully. So, I am really lost what's wrong with my custom assembly. Any idea what is the missing step/configuration? Does Sharepoint have any centralized log file, where I can trace?

Monday, April 21, 2008 12:37 PM

Answers

• I have found the error. In one of the static Property in my class, I have accidentally used HttpContext.Session. Not sure why, in my local vpc, this doesn't throw any exception and works perfectly. However, in my development server, this doesn't work. The web.config is identical. I have just checked into logs file of Sharepoint which is located at ../web server extension/12/Logs. So, be careful at using static property or constructor.

Monday, April 21, 2008 1:18 PM