none
Windows Mobile Device Center - Vista conveyed but Windows 7 not conveyed well RRS feed

• Question

• We have quite a few corporate customers who handle their own Windows updates.  As such when customers need to attach a USB hand held device they need to download and install Windows Mobile Device Center manually (i.e. it is not automatically downloaded from Windows Update and installed when the device is first attached to the machine).

The download page for Windows Mobile Device Center states Windows 7 in the small print but blasts references to Vista in the title and other main body text.  As a techie it seems clear that WMDC is applicable for Vista and Windows 7.  Customers are confused though.  Or am I wrong and WMDC is not supposed to be installed on Windows 7?

Here is the WMDC 32bit download page link for reference.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=14

May we all make money in the sequel.

Friday, June 8, 2012 2:37 PM

All replies

• WMDC is supported on Windows 7 as stated in the list of supported OS (albeit it is somewhat unclear). 

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, June 8, 2012 3:37 PM
  • Yep.  It definitely reads that way technically.  But things like the following make one wonder:

Title states "for Windows Vista"

The introduction states "The Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 is only supported on Windows Vista."

The second paragraph of the overview states "The Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 is only supported on Windows Vista."

The system requirements section starts off with "Supported operating systems: Windows Vista" and then "Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 is currently only available for the following versions of Microsoft Windows Vista™." ... followed by a listing that includes Windows 7.

The instructions section states "To install the Windows Mobile Device Center on Windows Vista".

Aside from the inclusion of Windows 7 in the system requirements listing, someone unfamiliar with the Windows device space would be baffled.

I don't see a link at the bottom or elsewhere that provides a mechanism for letting someone know.  Do you know who to contact?

May we all make money in the sequel.

Friday, June 8, 2012 4:03 PM
  • I would say call official support, they should provide confirmation your customers need while initiating doc bug correction (which may take a while).

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, June 8, 2012 9:13 PM