none
How to permanently "Select Test Settings File" in Visual Studio? RRS feed

• Question

• Every time I open Visual Studio I have to re-select the .runsettings before running my tests. How can we link this once and not have to do this over and over again?
    I don't seem to see how to do it in the documentation at:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/test/configure-unit-tests-by-using-a-dot-runsettings-file?view=vs-2019#feedback

Monday, July 15, 2019 5:51 PM

Answers

• Hi Swimburger,

Thank you for reply.

As you said, it is default setting in visual studio. And the path is absolute, so please confirm the runsettings file locates in the specified path.

If runsettings file is in the project folder, I am afraid that you have to add it when you restart visual studio when project folder moves to different directory.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 10:06 AM

All replies

• Hi Swimburger,

Thank you for posting here.

According to your description, please follow the below steps:

# Open Test -> Test Settings -> Select TestSettings file

And I have tried to re-load the test project and re-start the visual studio, the settings file always is selected in visual studio. 

If it could not work on your side, please repair your visual studio.

Any feedback will be expected.

Best Regards,

Dylan 

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 7:44 AM
  • Thanks for investigating. I just tried to reproduce the issue myself, and I cannot.
    It happened to my twice while demo'ing using VS 2015, and twice on VS 2019.

I'm not sure what is triggering the issue, but it looks like the expected default behavior is that VS remembers the TestSettings file.

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 2:16 PM
  • Hi Swimburger,

Thank you for reply.

As you said, it is default setting in visual studio. And the path is absolute, so please confirm the runsettings file locates in the specified path.

If runsettings file is in the project folder, I am afraid that you have to add it when you restart visual studio when project folder moves to different directory.

Best Regards,

Dylan

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 10:06 AM
  • It just happened again though nothing changed to my desktop, code, or Visual Studio. I can't pinpoint what's causing the issue, but it is acting finicky...
    Tuesday, July 23, 2019 3:07 PM