NXT on Compact Framework? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I'm a student of Computer Science at the University of Insbruck. I'm currently working on a radio controlled robot with "Lego Mindstorms NXT". That's when i found out about your Robotics Studio. But because it would be a great advantage to run the controlling program on a PDA, it has to support the .NET Compact Framework. The currently available version of the Robotics Studio only supports it with the "iRobot Create". So i tried to change the Lego NXT-specific code after studying the "iRobot Lite"-Sample. I finally managed to get the program to run entirely on Windows Mobile 5, but i also have a "lag" of about 2 seconds from sending a command until the response of the robot. Until now i was unable to reduce this and so i finally come to my questions.
    Does Microsoft currently work on a "NXT Lite" like it has with the iRobot Lite, so that i can use it.
    Or maybe there are some common problems when porting from Win32 to Windows Mobile that i might have overseen.
    Anyway, i really would appreciate some help, because the Robotics Studio is an amazing utility and i would rather not stop using it for my project.

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 10:13 AM

Answers

• we dont have plans for an NXT lite service. Do get your NXT services to perform fast enough on a constrained CE device, you would have to do similar things we had to do with iRobot create services:

1) coalesce services, into one service, and use alternate contract ports to implement the various contracts. This will reduce the service->service messaging. This is what we did with iRobotLite service

2) The lego NXT sample code has not been optimized (unlike our core runtime). It might have things that perform slowly on CE, like alot of objects in the message path, string creation etc. After you coalesce your code, you might want to follow through the main message handlers and see if anything stands out

3) Use May CTP. We fixed on issue on CE that would cause lag (due to some wierd interaction of a threading API CCR used to implement causalities)

thanx

g

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 7:17 PM

All replies

• we dont have plans for an NXT lite service. Do get your NXT services to perform fast enough on a constrained CE device, you would have to do similar things we had to do with iRobot create services:

1) coalesce services, into one service, and use alternate contract ports to implement the various contracts. This will reduce the service->service messaging. This is what we did with iRobotLite service

2) The lego NXT sample code has not been optimized (unlike our core runtime). It might have things that perform slowly on CE, like alot of objects in the message path, string creation etc. After you coalesce your code, you might want to follow through the main message handlers and see if anything stands out

3) Use May CTP. We fixed on issue on CE that would cause lag (due to some wierd interaction of a threading API CCR used to implement causalities)

thanx

g

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 7:17 PM
  • Thanx!

I'll try that.

Friday, May 11, 2007 7:12 AM