none
SQL VM - Decrease quantity of Virtual CPU assigned - Lightly Used

Question

• Hi -

For the following scenario:

Hyper-V on Windows Server 2012 R2 Host

VM running Server 2012 R2 with SQL 2012 (non-R2) installed.

Is it possible to decrease the number of virtual CPU assigned to the Hyper-V VM from 4 to 2 without harming the VM or SQL instance?

Thanks!

Friday, March 10, 2017 4:24 PM

All replies

• Well your question is best suited for HyperV forum.

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Friday, March 10, 2017 4:52 PM
  • Thanks for the response. I do have a similar question posted in the Hyper-V forum, and while technically doable from a virtualization perspective, they suggested posting here to see what decreasing the # of VMs would do to the SQL instance.

I am not concerned about performance, just stability of SQL starting up again and functioning properly after initially being deployed with more virtual processors.

Friday, March 10, 2017 5:07 PM
  • Ok if you are concerned about will SQL Server performance be hampered if you decrease number of cores so for that answer is quite likely. Yes it may decrease.

Why do you want to decrease number of CPU's

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Friday, March 10, 2017 5:09 PM
  • Shashank, thanks again. As I mentioned I am not concerned about SQL Server performance in this particular VM. I just want to better balance the vCPUs assigned to all the VMs on the host.
    Friday, March 10, 2017 5:13 PM
  • Shashank, thanks again. As I mentioned I am not concerned about SQL Server performance in this particular VM. I just want to better balance the vCPUs assigned to all the VMs on the host.

Well then if it is possible, which I believe is, please go ahead

Cheers,

Shashank

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Friday, March 10, 2017 5:16 PM