none
New Flight 14971 Released for Insiders

General discussion

• We have released a new flight with the build number 14971 for insiders. If you discover any new issues, please report it using the feedback app.

New this build:

• Fixes were made to the Raspberry Pi 3 BT driver to address issues with pairing devices
    • Updates were made to the Shell to better handle the lifecycle of continuous background tasks that have the restart property set to disabled
    • Windows.Devices.Enumeration.DevicePicker has been added to IoT Core
    • Changes were made to allow applications to suppress their splash screen by using the no splash screen flag
    • The Hardware Notification WDF Class Extension has been added to IoT Core enabling platforms to support hardware notifications
    • The USB Function Class Extension has been added to IoT Core enabling USB OTG and dynamical role switching when supported by the hardware platform
    • A change was made to increase stability in the SD Port driver
    • Changes were made to add the ability to enter and exit the Connected Standby and Sleep (S3) power states via an extension to the Windows.System.ShutdownManager WinRT API
    • The User Mode Power Service was added to IoT Core
    • An On Screen Keyboard (OSK) was added as an optional package and was added to the default FFUs. The OSK is disabled by default and must be enabled via the new option in Windows Devices Portal (Web Management).

Known Issues:

• The bottom row of the lowercase On Screen Keyboard is shifted out of position due to the ‘z’ key being out of place
    • GattDeviceService.GetCharacteristics may throw an unexpected System.ArgumentException
    • Logging in with MSA with default options may result in device getting stuck on Windows logo on boot. Workaround – When logging in with MSA, in the “Sign in to this device using your Microsoft account” wizard window click on the ‘Sign in to just this app instead’ option instead.
    • Store applications may fail to update with ERROR_PACKAGES_IN_USE
    • Default applications may fail to start when using the store signed packages after a servicing update is applied if the License.xml is not present. A work around exists of adding the License.xml file to the application directory
    • The MinnowBoard Max firmware 0.93 has a known issue which can lead to network connectivity failure. It is recommended to use 0.92.

Thanks!

Thursday, November 17, 2016 5:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I am running 14971 on my RPi3 but I don't see the 'Web Management' option to enable the OSK.

In this version some issues with the file explorer and ETW have been solved: thanks for that!

Anne

Saturday, November 19, 2016 7:52 PM
  • Hi, Is there a solution to enable easy on-screen keyboard on Pi3 with Win for IOT as on Linux ?

thanks

Monday, November 28, 2016 11:30 AM
  • Hi,

I cannot find either where to activate the OSK (On Screen Keyboard). Please, can you give advice on how to activate it? Thanks.

Tuesday, December 06, 2016 12:29 PM
  • It seems that in the latest release (14971), an On Screen Keyboard was added. I updated today, but I cannot find where to activate it on the Windows Devices Portal. Any ideas? 

• An On Screen Keyboard (OSK) was added as an optional package and was added to the default FFUs. The OSK is disabled by default and must be enabled via the new option in Windows Devices Portal (Web Management).

Thanks.

Tuesday, December 06, 2016 3:30 PM
  • I can see only these 2 options in the drop down list for download

Wednesday, December 07, 2016 6:43 AM
  • Me, too.

The same  =>IoT Dashboard is installing 14931 as latest preview available.

Wednesday, December 07, 2016 7:17 AM
  • I think you need to install the 14931 and the update to 14971, or at least, that's what I did.

Still, I have no clue on how to activate the OSK.

Wednesday, December 07, 2016 8:34 AM
  • I notice that if I manage the RPi using MS Edge I can see the option for the OSK, but the page seems incomplete and I do not have a Save button. If I use Chrome I can see the Save button, but do not have the OSK option available. I haven't tried other browsers yet...
    Wednesday, December 07, 2016 12:25 PM
  • In which tab can you find the option for the OSK?, I cannot find it anywhere neither on Chrome or MS Edge.

If you could attach a screenshot I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Wednesday, December 07, 2016 5:11 PM
  • It is in the "Device Settings" just above the Cortana on boot option. I  my case it looks like Edge was failing to apply the relevant css styles which allowed the option to be shown.

If you look through the javascript code for the page it looks like (under normal conditions) the page makes a call to a rest API to see if the OSK is installed on the device and only shows the option when the OSK is installed on the device. I have no idea how to install the OSK.

Wednesday, December 07, 2016 10:06 PM
  • Ok, I assume that I don't have it installed on my device. Thanks for your help.

It would be great if someone could explain how to install the OSK, I'm very interested in this feature.

Thursday, December 08, 2016 7:40 AM
  • It is available in the latest preview release (14986). See de image bellow. On the left the device portal, on the right a screenshot of the device.

On the left the device portal, on the right a screenshot of the device.

Thursday, December 22, 2016 4:56 PM