none
Cannot Import AdventureWorks Data RRS feed

• Question

• I have been trying to follow this:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/sql-data-warehouse/sql-data-warehouse-load-sample-databases#comments-container

I have done everything up to step 4, including installing the Microsoft® Command Line Utilities 11 for SQL Server® and changing the batch file to include my database credentials, but when I get to step 4 and run the batch file I get (a bunch of times over):

Sqlcmd: Error: Microsoft ODBC Driver 11 for SQL Server : Login failed for user '<username>'..
    Sqlcmd: Error: Microsoft ODBC Driver 11 for SQL Server : Cannot open database "<databasename>" requested by the login. The login failed..

I see the server and data warehouse in Azure. I was able to import the standard AdventureWorks database using my user name and password, so those seem to be correct. I have also made sure to add my IP address to the SQL Server firewall in the Azure portal.

Any advice?

mk

Monday, February 20, 2017 10:34 PM

All replies

• Using the same login/user, are you able to create tables manually in the target DW? E.g. Connect to your DW via SSMS from or the web TSQL editor and create a table. This will verify that your login and user are valid (can authN) and has permissions to create tables (authZ).

No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness. - Aristotle

Thursday, March 2, 2017 4:40 PM
  • I am a student at Georgia Tech. I wanted to demo Microsoft's Data Warehouse application to my class. Apparently DW drained my trial funds in 2 days while it sat unable to be used (waiting for resolution to this issue). As a result I was not able to demo and had to find other software.

While I appreciate the response, I find it a little underwhelming that 1) the instructions provided do not work and now you ask me to try something else, 2) funds for a trial account ran out in 2 days while my trial account sat idle, 3) apparently Microsoft relies on customers to do their user testing on their systems/work instructions.

To answer your questions, No. I cannot do that for multiple reasons, primarily because my trial account went to waste, but also because it's not my job. How about Microsoft ensures instructions work properly before they allow potential customer (in this case many potential customers I wanted to demo to) to sign up for a trial account that dries up in 2 days. Additionally, how about you mention on your webpage here:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/sql-data-warehouse/

that extended in "extended free trial" of SQL DW means 48 hours. I wouldn't call that much of a free trial.

Thanks for nothing.

Friday, March 3, 2017 4:28 AM
  • Hey MyronKing,

Maybe too little too late, but I walked through the doc you mentioned above and could repro your error message when I didn't specify my database parameter correctly. This parameter is case sensitive unlike SSMS or SSDT.

Additionally, it seems that you signed up for the https:Azure Free Trial ($200 limit for all Azure Services).

The  SQL DW Extended Trial offer is a free one month (30 consecutive calendar days) trial of Azure SQL Data Warehouse usage, limited to compute power of 200 DWU (Data Warehouse Units) and 2 terabytes (TB) of data storage.

We introduced the extended trial because to give user like yourself more time to test SQL DW.

If you would like to sign up for the extended free trial, the link above will start the process.

If you have any trouble with that process or want to debug the above mentioned scenario email me directly at (cakarst at microsoft dot com).

Thanks,

Casey Karst

Friday, March 3, 2017 5:40 PM
  • Hi Myron,

Sorry about your poor experience. Please ping Casey via the contact info in his post. We want to help you get this done.

No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness. - Aristotle

Friday, March 3, 2017 11:02 PM