none
'Focus dialog is not active' response - MS-CONF-INVITE RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am receiving a 488 error response (diagnostics: "Focus dialog is not active") when subscribing to the focus of a conference I have just connected to after receiving an MS-CONF-INVITE from Lync and I can't work out why.  This is for a C++ test application I am working on and I am using the information from here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd909280(v=office.12).aspx .

I am able to send an INVITE to the focus-uri I receive in the application/ms-conf-invite+xml payload, which includes a CCCP addUser request, and I eventually receive a SIP response of  "SIP/2.0 200 Invite dialog created".

I am however unable to subscribe to the conference state events after that - I need to do this to find out the audio-video conference uri to join and send media to. Below is the SUBSCRIBE message and the 488 response - can anyone help / see what's wrong/missing?  I would really appreciate any guidance on this.

SUBSCRIBE sip:simon.tolham@lync15.example.com;gruu;opaque=app:conf:focus:id:948FPF96 SIP/2.0
    Via: SIP/2.0/TLS 128.1.1.161:5061;branch=z9hG4bK9b406bdc81d7244bbca88dbb1f7e70ab
    Call-ID: 6be10908-20d2-469d-a273-392fc5f5caff
    CSeq: 673450143 SUBSCRIBE
    To: <sip:simon.tolham@lync15.example.com;gruu;opaque=app:conf:focus:id:948FPF96>
    From: <sip:simon@simontolham>;tag=bf178ade1014faeb;epid=8000085
    Max-Forwards: 70
    Allow: INVITE,ACK,CANCEL,OPTIONS,INFO,BYE,UPDATE,REFER,SUBSCRIBE,NOTIFY,MESSAGE
    Event: conference
    Accept: application/conference-info+xml
    Supported: ms-piggyback-first-notify
    Supported: ms-benotify
    Content-Length: 0

SIP/2.0 488 Not acceptable here
    From: <sip:simon@simontolham>;tag=bf178ade1014faeb;epid=8000085
    To: <sip:simon.tolham@lync15.example.com;gruu;opaque=app:conf:focus:id:948FPF96>;tag=490883B7A1FFA6B83B81F9FDBB4B6B96
    Call-ID: 6be10908-20d2-469d-a273-392fc5f5caff
    CSeq: 673450143 SUBSCRIBE
    Via: SIP/2.0/TLS 128.1.1.161:5061;branch=z9hG4bK9b406bdc81d7244bbca88dbb1f7e70ab;received=128.1.1.161;ms-received-port=38429;ms-received-cid=236BA00
    ms-diagnostics: 3042;reason="Focus dialog is not active";source="lync15-fe1.lync15.example.com"
    Server: RTC/5.0
    Content-Length: 0

Tuesday, October 1, 2013 10:23 PM

Answers

• Closing the loop on this, we identified that the ACK to the INVITE was not being handled due to a malformed TO header in the ACK. We expected the TO header to have the focus GRUU with opaque attribute, which was missing.

Correct:
    To: <sip:user@contoso.com;gruu;opaque=app:conf:focus:id:ABCDEFGH>;tag=286B0080

Incorrect:
    To: sip:user@contoso.com;tag=286B0080

Additionally we identified an issue where the SUBSCRIBE was failing due to a missing EPID in the FROM header for the INVITE. Without some ID to associate the subscription dialog to the invite dialog, it failed.

With these two items corrected, the SUBSCRIBE is successful.

Monday, December 16, 2013 10:01 PM

All replies

• Hi Simon,

Thank you for your question. The purpose of this forum is to support the Open Specifications documentation. You can read about the Microsoft Open Specifications program here, http://www.microsoft.com/openspecifications/en/us/default.aspx

It doesn’t appear that you are implementing one of the protocols cited, if yes, please correct me. I would suggest making a posting on one of the Unified Communications forums at http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?category=uc

Regards,
    Vilmos Foltenyi - MSFT

Wednesday, October 2, 2013 4:10 PM
  • I believe this is the correct forum as the above documentation is listed under Open Specifications > Protocols > Microsoft Office Protocols > MS-CONFBAS.
    Thursday, October 3, 2013 12:45 PM
  • Hi Simon,

Yes, you are right, we can discuss your question on this forum. A member of the Protocol Documentation support team will start working with you soon.

Thanks, Vilmos

Thursday, October 3, 2013 7:43 PM
  • Hi Simon,

I am the engineer who will be working with you on this issue. I am currently researching the problem and will provide you with an update soon.

Regards, Vilmos

Saturday, October 5, 2013 1:45 AM
  • Hi Vilmos,

Do you have any updates?

Thanks, Simon

Wednesday, October 9, 2013 10:38 AM
  • Hi Simon,

I am still looking into this issue. I hope to have more information for you soon. Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Vilmos

Friday, October 18, 2013 6:30 PM
  • Hi Vilmos,

I am just wondering if you have any information on this as another week has passed.

Many thanks, Simon

Sunday, October 27, 2013 3:33 PM
  • Hi Simon, I have taken over this issue and am currently researching the problem. One thing I noticed is that it looks like you are missing the "Proxy-Require: ms-benotify" header. According to MS-SIP section 3.5.1.1

The client signals support for the BENOTIFY mechanism by inserting two headers in the SUBSCRIBE request.
    Supported: ms-benotify
    Proxy-Require: ms-benotify

I don't see the Proxy-Require header in your SUBSCRIBE request. Did you post the complete request? Or is that just part of it?

Thursday, October 31, 2013 8:46 PM
  • I have just tried adding the Proxy-Require header too, and I still get the same 488 response.
    Friday, November 1, 2013 9:47 AM
  • Did the ms-diagnostics error code or message change?

This is the line I am most interested in:
    ms-diagnostics: 3042;reason="Focus dialog is not active";source="lync15-fe1.lync15.example.com"

Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Friday, November 1, 2013 5:27 PM
  • Hi Josh.  The error message / response code stayed the same.
    Friday, November 1, 2013 8:31 PM
  • Hi Josh,

Do you have any more information / updates on this?  

Thanks, Simon

Thursday, November 7, 2013 9:08 PM
  • Hi Simon,  I am still looking into this issue. I hope to have more information for you soon. Your patience is greatly appreciated.

In the meantime, could you please provide some additional information about the environment that you are working with, such as the version of Lync and whether or not it is an on-premises installation?

Thank you.

Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Friday, November 8, 2013 7:23 PM
  • Hi Josh,

I am getting the same error message with Lync 2013 and Lync 2010.

Monday, November 11, 2013 5:23 PM
  • Simon,

I have been ask to assist on this issue.  I would like to work with you to collect some data.

Can you please send an email to dochelp@Microsoft.com and reference this thread.  I'll follow up with you in email to continue troubleshooting this.

Thanks,

Christopher Tart | Sr. Support Escalation Engineer | Unified Communications Developer Support

Friday, November 15, 2013 10:01 PM
  • Closing the loop on this, we identified that the ACK to the INVITE was not being handled due to a malformed TO header in the ACK. We expected the TO header to have the focus GRUU with opaque attribute, which was missing.

Correct:
    To: <sip:user@contoso.com;gruu;opaque=app:conf:focus:id:ABCDEFGH>;tag=286B0080

Incorrect:
    To: sip:user@contoso.com;tag=286B0080

Additionally we identified an issue where the SUBSCRIBE was failing due to a missing EPID in the FROM header for the INVITE. Without some ID to associate the subscription dialog to the invite dialog, it failed.

With these two items corrected, the SUBSCRIBE is successful.

Monday, December 16, 2013 10:01 PM