Develop a runtime web based IDE/Designer in ASP.NET RRS feed

• Question

• User-1629258402 posted

Hi all!

I need to create a runtime web based IDE that can be used inside a web-form. The scenario goes like this. When a end user (power user)  visits the web form he/she is shown a VS IDE like toolbar which has a number of ASP.NET web controls as well as a couple of custom controls. He will be able to drag the controls on to the web form and set a number of properties like postion, width etc. and save the entire layout of the form. What he is essentially doing is creating a form (using a form wizard if you may say) for other users to fill.

Where do I start? Are there any descent third party apps that have this functionality and can be extended? If not what is the best approach to take.

Thanks.

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 4:51 PM

Answers

• User-1136466523 posted

Hi,

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>

As far as I know, what you want is to create a Online web based IDE, right?

<o:p> </o:p>

But I’m not sure if you have referred the information about IDE technology. Have you thought about the Framework, about the common language runtime, have you considered about the compiler working process, and the file system and etc. If you remove them to web, everything changes.

Of course, maybe it can be achieved some day in the future. But this is not something that can be achieved by some third party tools or APIs. It’s much more complicated.

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, December 8, 2008 12:58 AM
  • User-1629258402 posted

Hi,

Our team is considering using ASP.NET MVC using .NET framework 3.5 sp1. We know that it is way too complicated and complex. What we are trying to build is not a full fledged IDE, but a sleeker, light-weight form builder with a look and feel of an IDE.

Thanks

Monday, December 8, 2008 5:58 PM

All replies

• User-1136466523 posted

Hi,

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>

As far as I know, what you want is to create a Online web based IDE, right?

But I’m not sure if you have referred the information about IDE technology. Have you thought about the Framework, about the common language runtime, have you considered about the compiler working process, and the file system and etc. If you remove them to web, everything changes.

Of course, maybe it can be achieved some day in the future. But this is not something that can be achieved by some third party tools or APIs. It’s much more complicated.

Thanks.

Monday, December 8, 2008 12:58 AM
  • User-1629258402 posted

Hi,

Our team is considering using ASP.NET MVC using .NET framework 3.5 sp1. We know that it is way too complicated and complex. What we are trying to build is not a full fledged IDE, but a sleeker, light-weight form builder with a look and feel of an IDE.

Thanks

Monday, December 8, 2008 5:58 PM
  • User-64279339 posted

I was searching for the same thing and found Cloudio.

Has anyone used it yet? 

Saturday, February 27, 2010 6:03 PM
  • User392033127 posted

http://www.coderun.com/ide/

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 1:45 AM