Changing user profile directory

Question

• In Vista and Windows 7 you could change the user profile directories through a registry hack (in hklm/sftw/mcst/winnt/) (move files from the original place to the new one, change registry, create new user, delete old user). I did this in the preview build. Everything went great except that none of the Metro apps would start (all of them simply redirected to the Store application, which actually doesn't do anything). I didn't yet try to reproduce it. 
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:15 PM

Answers

• I may not be understanding exactly what it is you're trying to do but I think you may be referring to the option to change the Document, Music, Pictures, Desktop, Favorites, Downloads, etc directories to use different locations other than their defaults which is within the users profile.

If so.

You can still change those folders working directories by right clicking the folder in the Explorer file browser within the Desktop view
    Then click the Location Tab
    Then clicking move button.

I never liked the idea of trying to change the location of the whole user profile though...

Friday, September 16, 2011 8:08 AM
  • Hi Szupy,

You could map a NTFS Drive to the Documents/Video Folder in order to save them on a large HDD.

I did't change the User dir, but the (Std)Programm Directory via a registry hack, that is very similar, and it worked fine. (only changed the x86 one on a x64 build, if I change the x64 one, the metro apps don'T work anymore since the links are invalid, maybe you did this too ?)

Monday, September 19, 2011 8:15 PM

All replies

• probably not the last hack that has a change in behavior.  I suspect that we will see many posts showing new ways to do known hacks.

Post if you can repro.  We probably won't take a bug to make a hack work, but we will pay attention if something weird takes place.

Charles

Friday, September 16, 2011 7:23 AM
  • I may not be understanding exactly what it is you're trying to do but I think you may be referring to the option to change the Document, Music, Pictures, Desktop, Favorites, Downloads, etc directories to use different locations other than their defaults which is within the users profile.

If so.

You can still change those folders working directories by right clicking the folder in the Explorer file browser within the Desktop view
    Then click the Location Tab
    Then clicking move button.

I never liked the idea of trying to change the location of the whole user profile though...

Friday, September 16, 2011 8:08 AM
  • Yes, the location tab is one place, and it works fine but if you want to move the complete Users directory to another place (so directories like AppData also move to the new folder/disk) it didn't.

Although I reinstalled Win8 a third time, and now it works, so it must be something else (or something else too) I was encountering.

Monday, September 19, 2011 4:27 PM
  • I never liked the idea of trying to change the location of the whole user profile though...

If you have multiple hard disks the worst place to put the the users directory is on the system partition imho. I think there should be an option to change the users dir when installing windows. Also since configurations with SSD+HDD are getting more and more common splitting the system files, the users directory, and some part of the users directory should be made much much easier (like using an SSD for the system, a separate SSD for the main user profiles, so AppData is still fast, and a large HDD for Documents/Videos)
    Monday, September 19, 2011 4:30 PM
  • Hi Szupy,

You could map a NTFS Drive to the Documents/Video Folder in order to save them on a large HDD.

I did't change the User dir, but the (Std)Programm Directory via a registry hack, that is very similar, and it worked fine. (only changed the x86 one on a x64 build, if I change the x64 one, the metro apps don'T work anymore since the links are invalid, maybe you did this too ?)

Monday, September 19, 2011 8:15 PM