none
standalone .net application or limited size framework RRS feed

• Question

• is this possible to increase or decrease the size of .net framework setup........e.g. i am only using 7-8 library files to run my application and i have to install whole .net framework on another machine to run my application on that PC.

i have developed an interface in C#.net to install a number of applications silently on any PC.
    i will be running my application directly from DVD about the size of 2GB content....
    to run that 2MB interface i have to install .net framework manually first and that's not fair .
    so is there any possible solution to this problem so that i can run that interface easily.....

thanks in advance.....

gsJassal
    Monday, April 13, 2009 3:58 AM

Answers

• Hi Gsdeep,

Thank you for your clarification. I can understand the issue more.

actually i want to run a windowsform from a DVD. i know i have to install .net to run that form... i was thinking is it able to install selected libraries and CLR components that i need to run my application.... i know its sounds weird ... but in CLR i need C# related files and library files are already limited...

The deployment that you mentioned above isn't supported for .NET Framework. However, if you are deploying the application with .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, you can try using .NET Framework Client Profile which is a subset of the full .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 that targets client applications.
    For more information on .NET Framework Client Profile, see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc656912.aspx

Thanks
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Monday, April 20, 2009 3:00 AM
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 6:16 AM

All replies

• Hi Gsdeep,

More clarification with you. Which .NET Framework do you want to deploy?

Here is a useful thread that shows how to deploy the .NET Framework with the application.
    See: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/netfxsetup/thread/dbb5f8c4-919a-4587-a39c-16733311db38/

I hope this information will be helpful.

Thanks

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:29 AM
  • this link doesn't solve my problem.......
    gsJassal
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 6:13 PM
  • Hi Gsdeep,

The .NET Framework has two main components: the common language runtime and the .NET Framework class library . The common language runtime is the foundation of the .NET Framework. You can think of the runtime as an agent that manages code at execution time, providing core services such as memory management, thread management, and remoting, while also enforcing strict type safety and other forms of code accuracy that promote security and robustness. In fact, the concept of code management is a fundamental principle of the runtime.
    The class library , the other main component of the .NET Framework, is a comprehensive, object-oriented collection of reusable types that you can use to develop applications ranging from traditional command-line or graphical user interface (GUI) applications to applications.
    For more information on .NET Framework Overview, see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/zw4w595w.aspx

Thus, if you want to only install the class library files you want, it cannot be done.

If I misunderstood, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 2:43 AM
  • thanks for this information........

actually i want to run a windowsform from a DVD. i know i have to install .net to run that form... i was thinking is it able to install selected libraries and CLR components that i need to run my application.... i know its sounds weird ... but in CLR i need C# related files and library files are already limited...

so is there any way that i can collect and make an install package of required files....

upto my knowledge an intallation of application or framework includes copying or files, writing some registry values and setting some environmental variables........

if some body can tell me what is the procedure of .net framework installation that i can modify it according to my requirement...
    e.g. which are the mandatory files, which registry values are important to run my simple application and some other things...

i will be very very thankful to that person who can provide solution to my problem......

thanks again...

gsJassal
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 3:41 AM
  • Hi Gsdeep,

Thank you for your clarification. I can understand the issue more.

The deployment that you mentioned above isn't supported for .NET Framework. However, if you are deploying the application with .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, you can try using .NET Framework Client Profile which is a subset of the full .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 that targets client applications.
    For more information on .NET Framework Client Profile, see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc656912.aspx

Thanks
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Monday, April 20, 2009 3:00 AM
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 6:16 AM