How to pin a Desktop app to the Start screen?

Question

• Hi there,

can anyone tell me how to pin a Desktop app to the Start screen?

Initially I thought pinning a Desktop app to Start Menu via ("Pin to Start Menu"), would pin it to the Start screen. However that didn't work.

Cheers.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 10:17 PM

Answers

• Add Program Tiles To Metro Start Screen

1. In Metro, search for the installed program by typing it name.
    2. Then when you see it on the left side right click it.
    3. At the bottom of the screen you can then pin it.

Remove Program Tiles From Metro Start Screen

1. Right click on the tile.
    2. Then on the bottom of your screen click "unpin."

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 10:21 PM
  • the app shows up within the File search only and, even worse, I can not pin some items to the Start screen from there.

@ Sven

See also

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/41e612c3-c284-4d8b-8422-78d95489a8a1

(in addition to the other thread we have both commented in.  <w>)

FWIW I am getting the idea that in order for a file to be pinnable it will have to given a .lnk shortcut in  %PROGRAMDATA%

Anyway that is going to be my next experiment for this investigation.   An easy way of generating a .lnk shortcut should be to find one in Recent Items after the thing that you were trying to pin accidentally opened and then just drag-copy it from there to where else you want it.   <eg>

FYI

Robert
    ---

• Marked as answer by Sven R. Kunze Friday, December 16, 2011 12:55 PM
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 3:16 AM

All replies

• Add Program Tiles To Metro Start Screen

1. In Metro, search for the installed program by typing it name.
    2. Then when you see it on the left side right click it.
    3. At the bottom of the screen you can then pin it.

Remove Program Tiles From Metro Start Screen

1. Right click on the tile.
    2. Then on the bottom of your screen click "unpin."

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 10:21 PM
  • Well, thank you. It works.

The other day I wanted to right click a search tile, but instead of showing the bottom menu as you described the application starts immediately. Maybe a bug.

Nonetheless thank you.

Thursday, October 13, 2011 7:17 AM
  • I encountered the "pinning a Desktop app to the Start screen" problem again.

But this time, the application is not installed. It is just an exe-file I would like to add to my Start screen. Unfortunately, because it is a file, the app shows up within the File search only and, even worse, I can not pin some items to the Start screen from there. Which also comes along with the not working "Pin to Start menu" item of the context menu of Desktop files.

Sunday, December 04, 2011 3:59 PM
  • Hey Sven R. Kunze,

Thank you for posting your feedback, we want to make sure we get the right info including your log files. Can you also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview. There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here.

Steven
    Saturday, December 10, 2011 10:59 PM
  • the app shows up within the File search only and, even worse, I can not pin some items to the Start screen from there.

@ Sven

See also

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/41e612c3-c284-4d8b-8422-78d95489a8a1

(in addition to the other thread we have both commented in.  <w>)

FWIW I am getting the idea that in order for a file to be pinnable it will have to given a .lnk shortcut in  %PROGRAMDATA%

Anyway that is going to be my next experiment for this investigation.   An easy way of generating a .lnk shortcut should be to find one in Recent Items after the thing that you were trying to pin accidentally opened and then just drag-copy it from there to where else you want it.   <eg>

FYI

Robert
    ---

• Marked as answer by Sven R. Kunze Friday, December 16, 2011 12:55 PM
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 3:16 AM
  • @Robert

thank you very much. It clarified that a bit.

Anyway that is going to be my next experiment for this investigation.

Please, inform us about your latest outcomes. ;)

However I would appreciate it if Microsoft would stop forcing users to do a workaround. And so far regarding the Windows Developer Preview they are on the very right track.

Despite concerning the Start screen I consider it a place for pinning very relevant and frequently required objects, regardless whether they are apps, files, notes, settings, people, websites, appointments and so on. I felt improvements in that field are desirable. Additionally that would be a matter of consistency.

I am looking forward to seeing those enhancements in the beta or release.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 10:55 AM
  • Anyway that is going to be my next experiment for this investigation.

Please, inform us about your latest outcomes. ;)

The best that I can get is a right-click button which says Advanced and gives me a Run button but no Pin button.   Proof that it found the .lnk for it I think and probably proof that there is no intended support for adding even links to .txt files to the Start Screen. Presumably a workaround will be to create Desktop shortcuts which give the full command line involving notepad.exe and not just expect filetype association to work.   Hovering over the found item does not clarify whether it is the actual file or the shortcut to it.  Actually I thought that I had changed my Folder Options settings to try to make selection only work with a click--to make selection and right-click by Touch work--but that may have been an illusion that Folder Options affect the Metro Search Results.

Search ignores explicit searches for  .lnk.   However, it is pretty clear that it finds them because the counts change.   E.g. 1 is seen under Apps but only when I give the full name.   I'm not too concerned about that quirk; W7 has similar.   It stays there when I add a trailing . after .txt but isn't found when I enter anything more explicit, including  .txt.lnk  fully.   If I try to do the same thing with any other .txt file other than the one whose shortcut I copied into %ProgramData%\Customize  right-click just launches it.

W8 squawked about that much attempt at customization, so I can't imagine what it will do if I try fooling with the Start Menu junction.

In fact, I have just had another irritating session with Windows Explorer (How long are Recent Items kept?) which proves that my change to Folder Options did work but instead of having the desired effect in the Start Menu it has just made WE even more annoying to try to use.  ; |

Robert
    ---

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 2:15 PM