Secure Connection from Remote Forms Application RRS feed

• Question

• I want to connect securely to a remote server, ideally using windows Integrated Security, from a Windows Forms application.

Most of the documentation I can find on the subject relates to connecting from a browser application, and what else I have been able to find is confusing.

I am primarily interested in what I need at the client end to make the connection, and in broader terms what needs to be done on the server (someone else handles the server side, he doesn't know what to do either).

I am connecting to MS SQL Server 2008. The application in built on .NET 4.0

• Edited by A.Russell Wednesday, February 16, 2011 10:25 AM Added more information
    • Moved by Jackie-Sun Friday, February 18, 2011 9:26 AM (From:ADO.NET DataSet)
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 8:33 AM

All replies

• Hello A.Russell,

Thank you for posting in the ADO.NET DataSet Forum.

According to your description, I think your thread has more relation with SQL Server, so I will move it to the right forum for you.

Thanks for your understanding and support!

have a nice weekend!

Jackie Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, February 18, 2011 9:26 AM
  • Okay thanks,

So can anyone here advise me how to connect to SQL from an application running on a remote computer?

Saturday, February 19, 2011 9:31 AM
  • Since this thread isn't getting much attention, I'll pose a simpler question:

Is all I need to do replace the user name and password with trusted_connection = true, and the rest is handled by the guy who runs the server?

Saturday, February 19, 2011 3:02 PM
  • Hello,

trusted_connection = true ==> Windows authentification

It is only possible if your remote computer and the computer where the SQL Server has been installed belong to the same Windows domain. Moreover, the Windows user used to connect to the Windows domain must have been added to the users who may access to the database

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms181127(v=SQL.100).aspx

Don't hesitate to post again for more help or explanations

HHave a nice day

Mark Post as helpful if it provides any help.Otherwise,leave it as it is.
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 12:33 AM
  •  

Hi Papy,

I don't know a lot about setting up networks. Is it possible to add a remote computer (in another country) to a Windows domain and add it to the users who may access the database? I wouldn't be the person doing it, I only need to know if it can be done.

Failing that, what is the alternative to make a secure connection?

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 2:59 PM
  • Hello A.Russell,

My answer to your question is : yes, but it is not an easy thing, except for Windows domain administrators.I have succeeded once to do it about 5 years ago, so i have forgotten how i did.Be careful, it is necessary to configure also the remote computer.

But , maybe, Jackie Sun ( or other MSFT ) would be one of the best persons to give you informations about this operation.

Have a nice day

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 3:38 PM
  • Thanks Papy, now we are getting somewhere.

I do not know Mr. Sun. Could you refer this thread to him for me?

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 10:09 PM
  • Hello A.Russell,

I don't know Jackie Sun, but he is the gentle MSFT moderator who has moved this thread in this forum.

I am searching a possible confirmation in the MSDN library about what i have written.It is possible that you have to connect to the SQL Server instance with a Windows login of the remote Windows domain ( i think it is called "by impersonation" ).

Have a nice day

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 10:43 PM
  • Hello,

Maybe it is working for you : could you have a look on this link ?

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqldataaccess/thread/53469819-5465-4ef8-a313-2b93be6452c1

As it is nearly midnight ( for me ), i will go on my search to-morrow morning.

Have a nice day

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 10:52 PM