none
Error 643 repeatedly for failed installations of v. 4.6.1 and v. 4.5.2 RRS feed

• Question

• I have no .NET Framework versions installed on my Windows 7 computer. Intuit's TurboTax tried to install from its installation disk version 4.5.2 without success. I downloaded from the Microsoft site the offline installer for version 4.6.1 and failed to install with that. The error code returned consistently is 643. The logs also mention 1603 as a problem signature. All logs were collected with the tool mentioned in this forum and posted to Dropbox at:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qf56se1ivrltq5a/vslogs.zip?dl=0

I have wandered all over the Web and tried many suggestions, all without success during repeated tries at installing .NET Framework. The problem is entirely too subtle for me. Can anyone resolve my problem? If so, please include an email to this newby, because I do not normally frequent this forum!

Thank you in advance for any attention you might give to this issue.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 10:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Devata108,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

On Windows 7 systems, the .NET Framework requires Windows 7 SP1. If you are on Windows 7 and have not yet installed Service Pack 1, you will need to do so before installing the .NET Framework.

Besides, according to the error in your log, please have a look at this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3000988/-the-profile-for-the-user-is-a-temporary-profile-error-when-you-install-a-msi-package-in-windows, you need to install a hotfix for your operating system.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 2:27 AM
  • SP 1 is indeed installed on this computer. Also installed was the update KB3000988. Thinking the hotfix was something over and above the update, I obtained that and tried to install it only to be told that it was already installed. Thinking that the update installation might have been corrupt, I uninstalled it. But attempting to reinstall the update resulted in a message that it is not applicable to my computer! Nor does checking for updates at the Windows Update site find a need for that particular update.

No success trying to install .NET Foundation, either. Same old result.

Profiles are a bit of a mystery to me. This computer has two user accounts: my wife's, which is a standard account, and mine, which is an administrator's account. All my work as described above has been done by me in my administrator's account. However, this problem started when my wife in her account (augmented by my administrator's password) attempted to install Intuit's TurboTax, which requires .NET Foundation and therefore attempted to install same but without success. Could that initial action have poisoned the well forever? Seems unlikely, because she has always been able to install her financial software by herself in the past.

After sleeping on the problem, I wondered if creating a new user account with administrator privileges would solve the problem. Unfortunately, it did not. Therefore, the issue seems to be a level below the user accounts, wherever that might be. Sigh.
    • Edited by Devata108 Wednesday, February 22, 2017 4:56 PM
    Wednesday, February 22, 2017 5:04 AM
  • Hi Devata108,

Thank you for your update.

Please refer to here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/5a4x27ek(v=vs.110).aspx

If you are not having local administrator rights, you cannot write anything to c drive or registry. Please have a try to add the account to administrator group to get administrative permissions, like the following screenshots.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 23, 2017 2:46 AM